Numerical solution to the second order wave equation

In summary, the equation has four variables and needs to be rewritten as a system of first order equations. The first step is to rewrite it as a system, and then solve for the variables.
tjackson3

Homework Statement

Consider the second order wave equation

[tex]u_{tt} = 4u_{xx}[/tex]

There are initial and boundary conditions attached, but I'm less concerned with those for the moment. I think I can figure those out if I can figure out where to get started.

Rewrite this as a system of first order equations of the form [itex]\mathbf{u}_t = A\mathbf{u}_x + B\mathbf{u}[/itex] where [itex]\mathbf{u} = (u,u_t,u_x)^T[/itex] and solve using the Crank-Nicolson method.

Homework Equations

The Crank-Nicolson method (which is implicit) is given by

[tex]u_j^{n+1} - (1/4)\lambda(u_{j+1}^{n+1} - u_{j-1}^{1}) = u_j^n + (1/4)\lambda(u_{j+1}^n - j_{j-1}^n[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I did was to rewrite the equation as a system, as instructed. This came out to be

[tex]\left[\begin{array}{c}u \\ u_t \\ u_x\end{array}\right]_t = \left[\begin{array}{ccc}0 & 0 &0\\ 0&0&4\\ 0&1&0\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{c}u\\ u_t \\ u_x\end{array}\right]_x + \left[\begin{array}{ccc}0 & 1 &0\\ 0&0&0\\ 0&0&0\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{c}u\\ u_t \\ u_x\end{array}\right] [/tex]

I feel stuck from here, though. Typically when you deal with systems of equations in PDEs, you decouple the system by diagonalizing it. This was the suggested step even in this case, in one of the books I found. You write [itex]A = T^{-1}\Lambda T[/itex] and premultiply by T to get

[tex]T\mathbf{u}_t = \Lambda T\mathbf{u}_x + TB\mathbf{u}[/tex]

In theory, then, you can make a change of variables [itex]w = Tu[/itex] to get a completely decoupled system. In this case, however, the presence of that u term makes it impossible to completely decouple. After computing T, I ended up with this system:

[tex]\mathbf{v}_t = \left[\begin{array}{ccc}-2 & 0 &0\\ 0&2&0\\ 0&0&0\end{array}\right]\mathbf{v}_x + \left[\begin{array}{ccc}0 & 0 &0\\ 0&-2&0\\ 0&1&0\end{array}\right]\mathbf{u}[/tex]

I'm not sure where to go from here, since I can't even eliminate u. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

edit: forgot to include u at the end

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the transformation matrix T a matrix of eigenvectors?

Yes, T is a matrix of eigenvectors with [itex]\Lambda[/itex] the corresponding diagonal matrix of eigenvalues

I'll post, step by step, how I used this method for a heat conduction problem a number of years ago. First I'll try photographing it from a journal article. If that is illegible, I'll type it out. Equation will be first order in time. I'll post within 2 hours.

Awesome, thank you!

Here are some pictures of pages from something that belongs to me so there are no copyright issues. I'm not a lawyer. Method is same as was used in journal article I cited above. Hope this helps you out.

Attachments

• DSC00104.JPG
    DSC00104.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 507
  • DSC00105.JPG
    DSC00105.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 516
  • DSC00106.JPG
    DSC00106.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 522
That was very helpful. Thank you again!

Related to Numerical solution to the second order wave equation

1. What is the second order wave equation?

The second order wave equation is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of certain physical phenomena, such as waves in a medium. It is a second order differential equation because it includes a second derivative of the dependent variable with respect to the independent variables.

2. What is a numerical solution?

A numerical solution is an approximate solution to a mathematical problem that is obtained using numerical methods, such as algorithms or computer simulations. It involves breaking down the problem into smaller, simpler steps and using numerical techniques to calculate the solution.

3. Why is a numerical solution necessary for the second order wave equation?

The second order wave equation is a complex mathematical problem that does not have a closed-form analytical solution. Therefore, a numerical solution is necessary to approximate the behavior of the wave and obtain useful results.

4. What are some common numerical methods used to solve the second order wave equation?

Some common numerical methods used to solve the second order wave equation are finite difference methods, finite element methods, and spectral methods. These methods discretize the problem and approximate the solution at discrete points in space and time.

5. What are the applications of the numerical solution to the second order wave equation?

The numerical solution to the second order wave equation has many applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and geophysics. It can be used to model and predict the behavior of waves in different mediums, such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and seismic waves.