Numerical solution of an ODE be Singular at endpoint

In summary, the conversation discusses an ODE with two different boundary conditions, one leading to a singular matrix and the other providing a solution. The speaker also wonders about the influence of the boundary conditions on the nature of the solution, seeking suggestions for further evaluation.
SHmech
Hi all,
I have an ODE with the form
[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}^{2}\phi}{\mathrm{d}x^{2}}+a\exp(b\phi)=0[/tex]

B.C. [tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}\phi}{\mathrm{d}{x}}\right|_{x=0}=-c,\frac{\mathrm{d}\phi}{\mathrm{d}{x}}\right|_{x=L}=0[/tex]

where [tex]a,b,c,L[/tex] are all positive.

I solved the problem with Maple using the dsolve routine:
dsolve({bc, equ}, type = numeric, method = bvp[midrich], range = 0 .. L)
but it says "matrix is singular". My Fortran program using the FVM method also indicate the coefficients matrix is singular at [tex]x=L[/tex]

But if i change the B.C. at [tex]x=L[/tex] to [tex]\phi\right|_{x=L}=0[/tex] the solution can be got.

So i wonder
1 why the previous Newmann B.C. cause the singularity at [tex]x=L[/tex] but the latter Dirichlet one not.
2 how to evaluate the influence of such a boundary to the nature of the solution?

any suggestions will be appreciated
hui

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless I am mistaken, if you have Neumann conditions on both sides then there is nothing to "fix" the integration constant. So your solution will be unique up to a constant offset.

My fault. i checked the simplified form of the eqution
[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}^{2}\phi}{\mathrm{d}x^{2}}+ab\phi=0[/tex]
to get guess values of [tex]\phi[/tex] and it works with two Newmann B.C.s so i think it is the same with the original equation...

if we substitute [tex]\phi(x)=f(x)+C1[/tex] into the original equation it can be found [tex]C1[/tex] may not be zero.

Lord Crc, thanks for your reply.

Lord Crc said:
Unless I am mistaken, if you have Neumann conditions on both sides then there is nothing to "fix" the integration constant. So your solution will be unique up to a constant offset.

Related to Numerical solution of an ODE be Singular at endpoint

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a type of mathematical equation that involves a function and its derivatives. It describes the relationship between a function and its rate of change.

2. What does it mean for an ODE to be singular at an endpoint?

A singular ODE at an endpoint means that the equation cannot be solved using traditional methods due to a singularity, or point of discontinuity, at the endpoint. This can make it difficult to find a numerical solution.

3. Why does an ODE become singular at an endpoint?

ODEs can become singular at endpoints due to various reasons, such as the function becoming unbounded or discontinuous at the endpoint, or the existence of a zero or infinite solution. These singularities can make it challenging to find a numerical solution.

4. How can we handle a singular ODE at an endpoint when finding a numerical solution?

One approach to handling a singular ODE at an endpoint is to use specialized numerical methods, such as the Shooting Method or the Boundary Value Problem Method, which are designed to handle singularities. Another approach is to transform the ODE into a non-singular form before finding a numerical solution.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges when finding a numerical solution for a singular ODE at an endpoint?

Yes, there can be limitations and challenges when finding a numerical solution for a singular ODE at an endpoint. These methods may be more complex and time-consuming compared to traditional methods, and the accuracy of the solution may also be affected by the singularity. It is important to carefully choose the appropriate method and consider the limitations and challenges when dealing with a singular ODE at an endpoint.