Numerical solution of a differential equation with time dependent terms

In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equation and the practical ideas, software, and methodology needed to solve it. It is suggested to use the Runge-Kutta method for a numerical solution. The parameters are known and the time increment method is suggested for calculation.
Carlos Criollo
I am would like to solve this differential equation:

1.png

Where

upload_2014-10-10_14-43-52.png

upload_2014-10-10_14-44-16.png

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org.ezproxy.uniandes.edu.co:8080/ielx5/8/6493417/6409989/html/img/6409989-eqdisp-3-small.png
upload_2014-10-10_14-55-52.png

Could you give me some practical ideas about the required software and methodology? Thank you very much

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If all the parameters are known, did you try to just calculate it time steps by time step? Did it work?
There are more precise integration methods, but that is something you can have a look at afterwards.

Yes, all the parameters are known, but how I can calculate the time step by time step?

Carlos Criollo said:
Yes, all the parameters are known, but how I can calculate the time step by time step?
Time is the independent variable. You start your calculations at t = 0, increment t, rinse and repeat.

And how I could implement it in software?, I need a numerical solution of this equations.

Related to Numerical solution of a differential equation with time dependent terms

1. What is a differential equation with time dependent terms?

A differential equation with time dependent terms is an equation that involves unknown functions and their derivatives with respect to time. The terms in the equation are dependent on time, meaning that their values change as time progresses.

2. Why is it important to find numerical solutions to these types of differential equations?

Numerical solutions to differential equations with time dependent terms allow for the prediction and analysis of complex systems that are influenced by time. These equations are often difficult to solve analytically, so numerical methods provide a more practical approach to finding solutions.

3. What are some common numerical methods used to solve these differential equations?

Some common numerical methods for solving differential equations with time dependent terms include Euler's method, Runge-Kutta methods, and finite difference methods. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, but all can be used to approximate solutions to these types of equations.

4. How do you determine the accuracy of a numerical solution for a differential equation with time dependent terms?

The accuracy of a numerical solution can be determined by comparing it to an analytical solution, if one exists. Additionally, the accuracy can be improved by decreasing the step size used in the numerical method, or by using a higher order method.

5. Can numerical solutions be used to model real-world systems?

Yes, numerical solutions to differential equations with time dependent terms can be used to model real-world systems. These equations are often used in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems over time.