Numerical Methods - which one for which problem?

In summary, the finite difference method is best for solving EM problems in the form of a partial differential equation, while the moment method is best for solving EM problems in the form of an integral equation.
milan_kundera
Can anyone tell me for which problems you should use these numerical methods:

- finite difference method
- finite element method
- boundary element method
- method of moments

For example I read that finite element method is often used for car crash simulations, and that it gives very good results, but what about other methods, when you would use them? Any real-life example?

Thanks in advance. ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you google them and find out for yourself?

I really tried to find it on Google, you see that: "I read that finite element method is often used for car crash simulations", I found that using Google, but for other methods I hadn't have success.

Frankly your question doesn't make a whole lot of sense! Part of the "art" of "Applied Mathematics" is being able to decide which method is best for a specific application. There is NO general rule of "use this method for that problem".

Thanks to both of you. ;)

Lets say that I found what I was looking for, when we're talking about EM problems.

"2.An EM problem in the form of a partial differential equation can be solved using the
finite difference method. The finite difference equation that approximates the differential
equation is applied at grid points spaced in an ordered manner over the whole solution
region. The field quantity at the free points is determined using a suitable method.
3. An EM problem in the form of an integral equation is conveniently solved using the
moment method. The unknown quantity under the integral sign is determined by matching
both sides of the integral equation at a finite number of points in the domain of the
quantity.
4. While the finite difference method is restricted to problems with regularly shaped solution
regions, the finite element method can handle problems with complex geometries.
This method involves dividing the solution region into finite elements, deriving equations
for a typical element, assembling all elements in the region, and solving the resulting
system of equations."

Last edited:

Related to Numerical Methods - which one for which problem?

1. What are numerical methods?

Numerical methods are techniques used to solve mathematical problems using approximations and numerical calculations. They are commonly used in scientific and engineering fields where exact solutions are not feasible.

2. How do I choose the right numerical method for a specific problem?

The choice of numerical method depends on the type of problem you are trying to solve and the desired level of accuracy. Some common numerical methods include root finding, interpolation, and integration methods. It is important to understand the problem and the assumptions made by each method in order to choose the most appropriate one.

3. Are there different numerical methods for different types of equations?

Yes, there are different numerical methods that are more suitable for certain types of equations. For example, the bisection method is commonly used for finding roots of a function, while Euler's method is used for solving differential equations. It is important to understand the properties of the equation in order to select the most efficient numerical method.

4. Can numerical methods be used to solve real-life problems?

Yes, numerical methods are commonly used to solve real-life problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and finance. They can be used to model and analyze complex systems and provide solutions that would be difficult to obtain analytically.

5. What are the advantages and limitations of numerical methods?

The main advantage of numerical methods is that they can provide solutions to complex problems that cannot be solved analytically. They also allow for the use of computers to perform calculations, which speeds up the process and reduces human error. However, numerical methods are limited by the accuracy of the approximations and the assumptions made, which may lead to errors in the solution. It is important to understand the limitations of each method and validate the results to ensure accuracy.