Numerical integration and errors

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of errors in numerical integration of measured variables, specifically in calculating work from force and displacement data. The speaker mentions various potential sources of error, including instrument calibration, sampling, and interpolation. They are seeking advice on how to incorporate all these variables to assess their impact. A helpful resource for error analysis in numerical integration is also provided.
PorridgeMan
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can point me to a general treatment of errors when doing numerical integration of measured variables?

My problem is that I am integrating force with respect to displacement (of a piston) in an attempt to calculate work...and getting some impossible numbers. The force and displacement values are sampled from analogue transducers in a laboratory set-up. The data acquisition system samples each signal sequentially and creates trends with their own unique time bases. The frequency of sampling varies somewhat and I have no control over this. Anyway, to do the integration I then need to interpolate the acquired values at common points in time (e.g. every 0.1 s). I therefore have multiple sources of error - the initial measurement (instrument calibration), the sampling, the quantisation and finally the interpolation. I'm ignoring rounding and truncation in software for the time being.

I suspect these errors are adding up with adverse consequences, but I can't figure out how to derive an expression incorporating all the variables to assess their impact. This must be a common problem, but my old uni textbooks and Google haven't been much help. Any advice is much appreciated,

PorridgeMan.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a short paper with some general rules for the error analysis of numerical integration:
http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~amos/412/lecture-notes/lecture19.pdf

PorridgeMan said:
I suspect these errors are adding up with adverse consequences, but I can't figure out how to derive an expression incorporating all the variables to assess their impact.
Maybe you could attach ##\varepsilon_i## to your input variables and see whether they add up, or better, are divided by at some place of the algorithm you use.

Related to Numerical integration and errors

1. What is numerical integration and why is it important in scientific research?

Numerical integration is a method used to approximate the value of a definite integral, which is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve. It is important in scientific research because it allows for the analysis and prediction of complex systems and phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are the different types of numerical integration methods?

There are several types of numerical integration methods, including the trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule, and Gaussian quadrature. These methods differ in their approach to approximating the integral and have varying degrees of accuracy and efficiency.

3. How do errors occur in numerical integration?

Errors in numerical integration can occur due to a variety of factors, such as the choice of integration method, the number of intervals used, and the precision of the input data. Additionally, round-off errors can occur due to the limitations of computer arithmetic.

4. Can errors in numerical integration be reduced or eliminated?

While errors in numerical integration cannot be completely eliminated, they can be reduced by using more precise methods, increasing the number of intervals, and using higher precision data. It is also important to carefully choose the appropriate integration method for the given problem.

5. How can the accuracy of numerical integration results be evaluated?

The accuracy of numerical integration results can be evaluated by comparing them to known analytical solutions, if available. Additionally, error analysis techniques such as Richardson extrapolation and error estimation formulas can be used to assess the accuracy of the results.