[number theory] x²-a = 0 no solution => n not prime

In summary, if n = 3^{100}+2 and x^2-53 \equiv 0 \mod n has no solution, then n is not prime. This can be proven by showing that if n were prime, then \left( \frac{53}{n} \right) = -1, which leads to a contradiction. The Lucas primality test could also be applied to this problem.
nonequilibrium

Homework Statement

Define [itex]n = 3^{100}+2[/itex]. Suppose [itex]x^2-53 \equiv 0 \mod n[/itex] has no solution. Prove that n is not prime.

Homework Equations

/

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I suppose that I'll have to prove that some identity which should be true for n prime is not satisfied in the above case. The only relevant thing that I can think of is that if n were prime, then [itex]\left( \frac{53}{n} \right) \equiv 53^{ \frac{n-1}{2} } \mod n[/itex] (the first symbol denoting the Jacobi symbol). From now on assume n is prime; I try to find a contradiction.

The fact that the stated equation has no solution, is translated into [itex]\left( \frac{53}{n} \right) = -1[/itex]. So assuming n is prime, we have that [itex]-1 \equiv 53^{ \frac{n-1}{2} } \mod n[/itex]. However, I don't see how to arrive at a contradiction, nor do I see another way to approach the problem...

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if it's a problem you're already done with, but try applying the lucas primality test?

Related to [number theory] x²-a = 0 no solution => n not prime

1. What is number theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of numbers.

2. What does the equation x²-a = 0 mean?

This equation represents a quadratic equation, where x is the variable and a is a constant. This equation can be solved to find the value of x.

3. How does the equation x²-a = 0 relate to prime numbers?

If the equation x²-a = 0 has no solution, then n (the value of x) is not a prime number. This is because a prime number only has two factors, 1 and itself, which means it cannot be expressed as the product of two different numbers.

4. Can this equation be used to determine if a number is prime?

No, this equation alone cannot determine if a number is prime. It only tells us that if the equation has no solution, then the number is not prime. Other methods, such as the Sieve of Eratosthenes, can be used to determine if a number is prime.

5. Are there any exceptions to this rule?

Yes, there are exceptions to this rule. For example, if a is a perfect square, then the equation x²-a = 0 will have a solution, even if n is not a prime number. In general, this equation is not a reliable method for determining if a number is prime.