Number of Walks in K5 of Length 2: 15

In summary: I'm glad I finally got the correct answer.In summary, for the complete graph with 5 vertices (K5), there are 80 walks of length 2 from any vertex to any other vertex. This is calculated by adding all entries in the adjacency matrix A^2.
Joystar77
Consider the complete graph with 5 vertices, denoted by K5.

F.) How many walks of length 2 are there in graph K5? Explain.

Is this correct as follows for the walks of length 2?

K squared (2) = K x K =

0, 1, 0, 1, 0
1, 0, 1, 0, 0
0, 1, 0, 1, 1
1, 0, 1, 0, 1
0, 0, 1, 1, 0

x

0, 1, 0, 1, 0
1, 0, 1, 0, 0
0, 1, 0, 1, 1
1, 0, 1, 0, 1
0, 0, 1, 1, 0

= 1, 0, 1, 0, 1
0, 1, 0, 1, 1
1, 0, 1, 1, 1
0, 1, 1, 1, 1
1, 1, 1, 1, 1

Is it true that in this problem, I would let the maximum walks of length k be 5 and the maximum number of nodes be 10.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think your adjacency matrix is correct for $K_{5}$. See here. Now you must interpret the results. There are three walks of length $2$ from $1$ to $2$, four walks from $1$ back to $2$. You must do some fancy adding, while taking redundancies into account.

Ackback: I was following an example where it stated about the walks of length 2. I don't quite understand what your doing. Can you please explain further?

Sure. First of all, the adjacency matrix for $K_{5}$ is
$$A=\begin{bmatrix}0 &1 &1 &1 &1 \\ 1 &0 &1 &1 &1 \\ 1 &1 &0 &1 &1 \\
1 &1 &1 &0 &1 \\ 1 &1 &1 &1 &0 \end{bmatrix}.$$
This says that there is no edge from any vertex to itself, but there is exactly one edge from any vertex to any other vertex, which is exactly what $K_{5}$ is.

Secondly, there is a theorem that states that the number of walks of length $n$ from vertex $i$ to vertex $j$ is given by the $(i,j)$ entry in the matrix $A^{n}$. We are interested in walks of length $2$. Hence, we need to compute $A^{2}$, which is
$$A^{2}=\begin{bmatrix} 4 &3 &3 &3 &3 \\ 3 &4 &3 &3 &3 \\ 3 &3 &4 &3 &3 \\
3 &3 &3 &4 &3 \\ 3 &3 &3 &3 &4\end{bmatrix}.$$

Thirdly, the problem is asking for all the walks of length $2$. And here I need to retract what I said earlier about doing "some fancy adding, while taking redundancies into account." If, say, the $1,2,3$ walk is distinct from the $3,2,1$ walk, then all you need do is sum all of the entries in $A^{2}$. Moreover, the $(2,1)$ entry would represent different walks from the $(1,2)$ entry. So it's not as though you need to worry about the upper diagonal entries giving you redundant information to the lower diagonal entries. Don't worry if you don't understand what I just said. I'm trying to explain my own thinking, and where it went wrong.

I would just add up all the numbers in the $A^{2}$ matrix. What do you get?

When I add up what is inside of the adjacency matrix, I get the following:

4 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 16

3 + 4 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 16

3 + 3 + 4 + 3 + 3 = 16

3 + 3 + 3 + 4 + 3 = 16

3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 4 = 16

16 + 16 + 16 + 16 + 16 = 80

Is 80 the right answer for the walks of length 2 in the graph K5?

Joystar1977 said:
When I add up what is inside of the adjacency matrix, I get the following:

4 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 16

3 + 4 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 16

3 + 3 + 4 + 3 + 3 = 16

3 + 3 + 3 + 4 + 3 = 16

3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 4 = 16

16 + 16 + 16 + 16 + 16 = 80

Is 80 the right answer for the walks of length 2 in the graph K5?

I think you've got it.

Thank you Ackbach!

Related to Number of Walks in K5 of Length 2: 15

What is "Number of Walks in K5 of Length 2: 15"?

"Number of Walks in K5 of Length 2: 15" refers to the number of possible paths or sequences of 2 steps that can be taken within a complete graph of 5 vertices (K5) that starts and ends at the same vertex and visits a total of 15 vertices.

How is the number of walks calculated in a complete graph?

In a complete graph, the number of walks of length n starting and ending at the same vertex is equal to n times the number of vertices in the graph. In this case, since we are looking at walks of length 2 in K5, the number of walks is 2 times 5, which equals 10. However, we must also consider the possibility of visiting the same vertex twice in a walk, which leads to the total of 15 possible walks.

Why is the number of walks in K5 of length 2 important to study?

The number of walks in K5 of length 2 is important to study because it can provide insight into the connectivity and structure of complete graphs. It can also be used in various applications, such as in network analysis or in determining the efficiency of algorithms.

What is the significance of the number 15 in "Number of Walks in K5 of Length 2: 15"?

The number 15 represents the total number of vertices visited in a walk of length 2 in K5. It is an important factor in calculating the number of walks and can also give information about the symmetry and patterns within the complete graph.

Are there any real-world examples or applications of the concept of "Number of Walks in K5 of Length 2: 15"?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of this concept. For instance, in transportation networks, the number of possible routes between two points can be represented as walks in a complete graph. In computer science, algorithms that involve graph traversal also utilize the concept of walks in a graph. Additionally, the concept can be applied in social network analysis to study the flow of information or influence within a group of people.