Nuclear physics - decay constant

In summary, the activity of the sample is constant at 20^10 disintegrations per second, and the decay constant is 0, resulting in an infinite half-life.
shahar weiss

Homework Statement

Hello.
Im having a problem here, i got a sample of Au nucleis.
I'm bombing them with neutrons and each second 20^10 of them undergo a reaction where they turn radioactive.
Im trying to look at this problem as if i would have a sample of radioactive materia which decaying to something else.
Now if i do so, then the activity of my sample (A) is 20^10 disintegration/second which is constant.
im trying to figure out my "decay constant" and the half life time. for that ill define that at t=0 i have K(number) of radioactive nucleins.
i have a few formulas for A.
A(t) =(def) dN/dT = N(t) = e^(-[tex]\lambda[/tex]t)
since A is constant, then A(T)=A(0)=20^10.
but if ill put this is the equation above i will lose t.. anyway I am really lost here and i would be so happy for help.
thank you very to whoever helps me out

Homework Equations

A(t) =(def) dN/dT = N(t) = e^(-[tex]\lambda[/tex]t)

The Attempt at a Solution

Again as mentioned above, trying to use this formula, won't work

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
as it will give you an equation with no t. To solve this problem, you need to use the following formula:A(t) = A(0)*e^(-\lambdat)where A(0) is your initial activity, and \lambda is your decay constant.Solving for \lambda gives you: \lambda = -ln(A(t)/A(0))/tNow all that is left is to plug in your values for A(t) and A(0). So, \lambda = -ln(20^10/20^10)/t = 0/t, therefore \lambda = 0And since \lambda = 0, then the half-life of your sample is infinite.

Related to Nuclear physics - decay constant

1. What is a decay constant in nuclear physics?

A decay constant in nuclear physics is a parameter that describes the rate at which a radioactive substance decays. It is a measure of the probability that an atomic nucleus will undergo radioactive decay in a unit of time.

2. How is the decay constant related to half-life?

The decay constant and half-life are inversely related. The decay constant is equal to the natural logarithm of 2 divided by the half-life of the substance. In other words, the higher the decay constant, the shorter the half-life, and vice versa.

3. Can the decay constant of a substance change?

No, the decay constant of a substance is a fundamental characteristic of that substance and cannot be changed. It is a constant value that is unique to each type of radioactive material.

4. How is the decay constant measured?

The decay constant is typically measured through experiments that involve observing the decay of a radioactive substance over a period of time. The data collected from these experiments can be used to calculate the decay constant using a mathematical formula.

5. What are some practical applications of the decay constant?

The decay constant is used in various fields such as medicine, environmental science, and nuclear power. It is used to determine the rate of decay of radioactive substances, which is important for understanding their effects on living organisms and for predicting the behavior of nuclear materials.