Nuclear History - Past and Present

In summary: The Cold War Era had a significant impact on the way our cultures have changed. Most notably, the Atomic Age/Cold War Era led to significant changes in how our societies view technology and the atom. This era also led to significant changes in our cultures, as it was a time of great technological advancement and conflict. In Finland, the Atomic Age/Cold War Era has led to a renewed interest in nuclear energy, as we are currently building our fifth NPP and planning for the sixth. There is some opposition to all this, but I believe that the majority of thinking people in this country are for nuclear power. There is little interest in people discussing the history of nuclear power or looking at it from a more philosophical or cultural perspective,
Vyacheslav
I've been wondering how the Atomic Age/Cold War Era has changed our cultures, and people.

In Finland, we have, at the moment, quite lot of discussion about nuclear energy, as we are building our fifth NPP, and planning for the sixth. There's also http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4948378.stm" in South Finland, as our soil is rich in uranium.

Naturally, there is some opposition to all this. People get emotional, take sides... either you are for, or against. - What's interesting in this, is, seems that it's mostly quite shallow discussion, based on little or no knowledge, and if you are against nuclear power, you are labelled as "green".. which is considered unpatriotic. I think the majority of thinking people in this country are for nuclear power.

Yet I see no stories/articles in our media about nuclear power. There's not much interest in people. If you try to open discussion.. well.. about the history of nuclear power, or try to find more philosophical point of view of man vs. the atom, or cultural, psychological.. there'll be only silence. If I push it little further, you get answer like, "ah, it all happened in foreign countries, they are militaristic, they have atom bombs, it is so different from Finland, it doesn't concern us."

Well, I think, if this country is investing heavily on nuclear power, it's not just energy thing. My guess is that fear keeps people silent. Perhaps they think that nuclear energy is a necessary evil, - you use it, and don't think about, then all will be ok. Or that such considerations are meant only for the professionals. Then there's the language barrier; although all Finns study english language at school, and also french, german, russian - they seldom use these languages, and when confronted by spoken or written english, they will get shy, or even get hostile reaction - "we are Finns, why we must listen this foreign thing.." It's funny.

Then I thought, is it like this in other countries? By googling I easily find such stories I am thinking about, for example, about the history of Oak Ridge: http://web.knoxnews.com/special/0807ww2/" . - Why is this? Is it because cultural difference, or is it because cultural aspects of nuclear technology is such highy specialized field of interest, that you can find no one to discuss with, from a country that has only some 5 million inhabitants?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Vyacheslav said:
Then I thought, is it like this in other countries? By googling I easily find such stories I am thinking about, for example, about the history of Oak Ridge: http://web.knoxnews.com/special/0807ww2/" . - Why is this? Is it because cultural difference, or is it because cultural aspects of nuclear technology is such highy specialized field of interest, that you can find no one to discuss with, from a country that has only some 5 million inhabitants?
It's more the case of a different time.

Nuclear energy was realized back in 1945, with the development of nuclear weapons - e.g. the two weapons used at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Many of the scientists and technicians who worked on the fundamentals of nuclear energy were European immigrants who were displaced by WWII.

After the war, the enormous energy potential of nuclear energy was explored, and it was promoted by the government and the scientific community. However, the downside of nuclear energy was not appreciated and many technical challenges were underestimated.

Other nations like Finland came later to the technology of nuclear energy. First it was with the Asea Atom BWRs at Olkiluoto and the Russian VVER-440s at Loviisa. IIRC the Russians take their fuel back for reprocessing, unless that has changed.

Now mining and presumably conversion and enrichment (unless Finland exports the ore for conversion and enrichment) an expansion of the nuclear industry. And then there is the backend part - spent fuel and/or the option of reprocessing, which still requires diposition of the fission products.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
Other nations like Finland came later to the technology of nuclear energy. First it was with the Asea Atom BWRs at Olkiluoto and the Russian VVER-440s at Loviisa.
Astronuc,

As I recall, the Fins had something that was dubbed the "Eastinghouse" reactor.

It was a Russian built reactor; but with a western-style containment building for safety;
which the Russians didn't offer.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

Yes, they westernized a russian VVER here.

The Finnish builders called the process as "transforming a Moskvitch into a Mercedes". Also it had some effect to safety of later russian VVER-type reactors, because in Loviisa it was first times when the russians got in touch with western safety. Robert Darst has written about it... I think in book "Smokestack Diplomacy".

Related to Nuclear History - Past and Present

What is nuclear history and why is it important?

Nuclear history refers to the development, use, and impact of nuclear technology from its inception to the present day. It is important because nuclear technology has had a significant impact on global politics, warfare, and energy production. Understanding its history can help us make informed decisions about its future use and potential consequences.

What events mark the beginning and end of the nuclear era?

The beginning of the nuclear era is often marked by the first successful nuclear fission test in 1945, known as the Trinity test. The end of the nuclear era is more debatable, but many consider the end of the Cold War in 1991 and the signing of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty in 1996 as significant events.

What is the role of nuclear weapons in history?

Nuclear weapons have played a major role in global politics and warfare since their development. The bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki during World War II marked the first and only use of nuclear weapons in warfare. The threat of nuclear war during the Cold War also had a significant impact on international relations and military strategies.

What are some major nuclear accidents or disasters in history?

Some of the most well-known nuclear accidents or disasters include the Chernobyl disaster in 1986, the Three Mile Island accident in 1979, and the Fukushima Daiichi disaster in 2011. These incidents serve as reminders of the potential dangers and consequences of nuclear technology.

What are the current debates and issues surrounding nuclear energy and weapons?

The current debates and issues surrounding nuclear energy and weapons include concerns about safety, security, and the potential for nuclear proliferation. There is also ongoing discussion about the role of nuclear energy in addressing climate change and the need for international cooperation and regulations to prevent the spread of nuclear weapons.