Nuclear efficiency and the fine structure constant?

In summary, the conversation discusses the coincidence that the mass energy conversion ratio of hydrogen to helium, as described in Martin Rees' "Just Six Numbers," is the same as the fine structure constant in QED. The discussion concludes that this is simply a coincidence and there is no special connection between the two. The conversation also mentions other coincidences involving constants in physics, but advises against giving them too much significance.
nightcleaner
I find in Martin Rees "Just Six Numbers" that hydrogen undergoes fusion to helium with a mass energy conversion of .007, that is, the mass of the helium formed is less than the mass of the hydrogen by this ratio.

Is it a coincidence that this number is the same as the fine structure constant from QED which I find described in

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/FineStructureConstant.html

?

I have pretty much convinced myself that it is, but would appreciate confirmation or correction if necessary. My doubt has to do with the notion that QED relates to electromagnetic events involving electrons and photons, while nuclear reactions are governed by the electro-weak force, confined to the nucleus.

Thanks for any help.

nc

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It has to be a coincidence. There is nothing special about H and He.

At the risk of causing more trouble, here is a more obvious coincidence that was brought up to me today by a teacher of mine who said that in high school, he thought this was important, but of course it is not.

[tex]\frac{\pi^2}{g}\approx1.005[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
They're completely unrelated. The fusion reaction is a matter of strong/weak nuclear forces, and the fine structure constant sets the coupling strength of the EM force. Doing numerology with these and other constants is not a very worthwhile endeavor. If you do a PF search, you can probably find a few threads on various other coincidences - but do take them with a (large) grain of salt.

Here's an attempt to summarize them: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=46055

Related to Nuclear efficiency and the fine structure constant?

1. What is nuclear efficiency?

Nuclear efficiency refers to the amount of energy that can be produced from a given amount of nuclear fuel. It is a measure of how effectively a nuclear reactor or other nuclear process converts the energy stored in the fuel into usable energy, such as electricity.

2. How is the fine structure constant related to nuclear efficiency?

The fine structure constant, also known as the Sommerfeld constant, is a dimensionless number that describes the strength of electromagnetic interactions between elementary particles. It is closely related to nuclear efficiency as it affects the stability and behavior of atomic nuclei, which in turn affects the efficiency of nuclear reactions.

3. Why is the fine structure constant important in nuclear physics?

The fine structure constant is important in nuclear physics because it is a fundamental constant that governs the behavior of subatomic particles and the interactions between them. It is a key factor in understanding the structure and stability of atomic nuclei, and therefore plays a crucial role in nuclear reactions and energy production.

4. Can the fine structure constant be changed to improve nuclear efficiency?

No, the fine structure constant is a fundamental constant of nature and cannot be changed. It is believed to have a fixed value throughout the universe and any attempt to alter it would have far-reaching consequences in the laws of physics. However, scientists continue to study and understand its effects in order to optimize nuclear processes and improve efficiency.

5. How does nuclear efficiency impact our energy sources and the environment?

Nuclear efficiency is crucial in our current energy landscape as it provides a significant portion of the world's electricity. It is a low-carbon energy source and therefore has a smaller environmental impact compared to fossil fuels. However, it also poses potential risks such as nuclear accidents and waste disposal. Ongoing research and development in nuclear efficiency aim to address these issues and make it a sustainable energy source for the future.