Nuclear Decay question without knowing N0 or N ?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about nuclear decay without knowing the initial or final number of nuclei. The person has an Am sample emitting alpha particles at a rate of 70Bq in 1997 and is asked to find the activity 8 years later. They calculated this to be 69.108 Bq, but are unsure if their answer is correct. They also need to find the number of nuclei in 1997 and 2005, but do not know how to do so without knowing either. The conversation mentions the equation A(t) = A_0 \, \exp(-\lambda \, t) and discusses the relationship between activity and the number of nuclei.
Bowenwww
Nuclear Decay question without knowing N0 or N ??

Homework Statement

Ok so what I have an Am sample which emits alpha particles at a rate of 70Bq in 1997 and asks for the activity 8 years later (the half life of Am being 432.2 years) I found this to be 69.108 Bq, first of all does this sound right?

Secondly it asks for the number of nuclei both in 1997 AND 8 years later in 2005 - I have no idea to do this, is there an equation that relates the initial and final nuclei number without knowing either?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

[tex]
A(t) = A_0 \, \exp(-\lambda \, t)
[/tex]

A is activity and is measured in bequerel ([itex]1 \, \mathrm{Bq} = 1 \, \mathrm{s}^{-1}[/itex])

Also, A(t) = λN(t)

Yeah I sort of understand that it's just I don't know how to apply my answer for activity to find the nuclei number before and after

see post #3.

Related to Nuclear Decay question without knowing N0 or N ?

1. What is nuclear decay?

Nuclear decay is the process by which an unstable atomic nucleus loses energy by emitting radiation, resulting in a more stable nucleus.

2. What types of particles can be emitted during nuclear decay?

The three most common types of particles emitted during nuclear decay are alpha particles (helium nuclei), beta particles (electrons or positrons), and gamma rays (high energy photons).

3. How is the rate of nuclear decay measured?

The rate of nuclear decay is measured by the half-life, which is the time it takes for half of the radioactive atoms in a sample to decay into other elements.

4. Can nuclear decay be controlled or stopped?

No, nuclear decay is a natural and spontaneous process that cannot be controlled or stopped by external factors.

5. How does nuclear decay affect living organisms?

Nuclear decay can be harmful to living organisms as it can damage cells and DNA, leading to health issues such as cancer. However, it is also used in medicine for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes.