Now you can take the limit as ##z## approaches ##-1##.

In summary, the limit of the given expression as z approaches -1 is undefined. The attempted solutions included trying to simplify the expression, multiplying by the complex conjugate, using l'Hopital's rule, and transforming z into polar coordinates. However, none of these methods were successful in removing the radicals and solving the limit, indicating that the limit does not exist.
jjr

Homework Statement

Calculate the following limit if it exists

## \lim_{z\to -1}\frac{\sqrt{z}-i+\sqrt{z+1}}{\sqrt{z^2-1}} ##

the branch of root is chosen so that ## \sqrt{-1}=i##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried most of the same things that I tried earlier today ( https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/complex-limit-help.813800/ ).

1. No obvious way to simplify the expression and get rid of the zero in the denominator.

2. Tried to multiply the numerator and denominator with the complex conjugate ## \sqrt{\bar{z}^2-1} ##, which did give me a ## \sqrt{2} ## in the denominator. The problem with this is that if ## z ## goes to ##-1##, then I suppose ##\bar{z}## goes to ## -1 ## as well. This means, in effect, that I multiplied with 0, and I don't think it's legit. (Yields a wrong answer (0) anyway).

3. Tried using l'Hopitals rule, but it doesn't remove any of the radicals which will still go to 0 no matter how many times I apply it.

4. Tried the transformation ## z = re^{i\theta} ##, but can't see how it would get me any further.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
J

Physics news on Phys.org
edit: mistake

Last edited:
Likes jjr
I will take your word, because it makes perfect sense and it's the correct answer (suppose I should've mentioned that). Thanks.

No there was a mistake there. The first term should be multiplied by ##\sqrt{z} + i##

You get $$\frac{(\sqrt{z}-i)(\sqrt{z}+i)}{\sqrt{(z-1)(z+1)}(\sqrt{z} + i)} + \frac{\sqrt{z+1}}{\sqrt{(z-1)(z+1)}} = \frac{\sqrt{z+1}}{(\sqrt{z-1})(\sqrt{z} + i )} + \frac{1}{\sqrt{z-1}}$$

Last edited:

Related to Now you can take the limit as ##z## approaches ##-1##.

1. What is a complex limit?

A complex limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a complex-valued function as its input approaches a specific complex number. It is similar to the idea of a limit in real analysis, but instead of working with real numbers, it deals with complex numbers.

2. How is a complex limit calculated?

To calculate a complex limit, we use the same principles as those used for real limits. We determine the behavior of the function as the input approaches the specific complex number from different directions, such as from above, below, or along a particular path. If the function approaches the same value regardless of the direction, then the complex limit exists and is equal to that value.

3. Why are complex limits important?

Complex limits are essential because they allow us to study the behavior of complex-valued functions in a precise and rigorous manner. They also have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where complex numbers are frequently used to model real-world phenomena.

4. What are some examples of complex limits?

One example of a complex limit is the function f(z) = (z^2 - 1)/(z - 1), which has a limit of 2 as z approaches 1 from any direction. Another example is the function g(z) = e^z/(z - 1), which has a limit of 0 as z approaches 1 from any direction.

5. How do complex limits relate to continuity?

In complex analysis, a function is considered continuous at a point if its limit exists at that point and is equal to the function's value at that point. So, complex limits play a crucial role in determining the continuity of complex-valued functions. If a complex limit exists at a point, then the function is continuous at that point.