Notation in Ch. 10 of Nakahara

• Thread starter Bballer152
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary: I'm pretty lost at this point.In summary, Nakahara is discussing Lie algebra-valued one forms on a manifold M, and he defines a Lie-algebra-valued one form on P by letting \omega_i \equiv g_i^{-1}\pi^*A_ig_i + g_i^{-1}\mathrm{d}_Pg_i. The second term in this definition is a function that takes in a vector in the tangent space of a point in P and spits out an element of the lie algebra of G. However, he doesn't explain what the exterior derivative is acting on in this equation. He also writes that \mathrm
Bballer152
Hi All,

I'm extremely confused by what's going on in section 10.1.3, pg 377 of the 2nd edition of Nakahara, in regards to his notation for lie algebra-valued one forms.

We let [tex] \{U_i\} [/tex] be an open covering of a smooth manifold [tex] M [/tex] and let [tex] \sigma_i [/tex] be a local section of M into the principle G-bundle P defined on each element in the covering. We also let [tex]A_i[/tex] be a Lie-algebra-valued one form on each [tex]U_i.[/tex]

We then want to construct a Lie-algebra-valued one-form on P using this data, and we do so by defining [tex] \omega_i \equiv g_i^{-1}\pi^*A_ig_i + g_i^{-1}\mathrm{d}_Pg_i[/tex] where [tex]d_P[/tex] is the exterior derivative on P and [tex]g_i[/tex] is the canonical local trivialization defined by [tex]\phi_i^{-1}(u)=(p,g_i)[/tex] for [tex]u=\sigma_i(p)g_i.[/tex]

What I don't understand is the second term in the definition of [tex]\omega_i.[/tex] I don't understand what the exterior derivative is acting on there. He writes it as if it's acting directly on the group element [tex]g_i\in G[/tex] and later writes terms like [tex]\mathrm{d}_Pg_i(\sigma_{i*}X),[/tex] where [tex]X\in T_pM[/tex] and [tex]\sigma_{i*}[/tex] is the push-forward so that [tex] \sigma_{i*}X \in T_{\sigma_i(p)}P[/tex] as if [tex]\mathrm{d}_Pg_i[/tex] is itself a Lie algebra-valued one-form, which I simply don't understand at all. It just doesn't seem well defined and I see no way of making sense of that expression. Thanks so much in advance for any clarification as to what that term is doing, i.e., how it takes in a vector in the tangent space of some point in P and spits out an element of the lie algebra of G.

Physics news on Phys.org
##dg## is not a Lie-algebra valued 1-form, but ##g^{-1} dg## is.

How so? I don't see how that expression specifies an action sending tangent vectors to Lie-algebra elements...

Near any (constant) Lie group element ##g_0##, a local neighborhood of the Lie group can be expanded via the exponential map

[tex]g = g_0 e^{tX}, \qquad X \in \mathfrak{g}[/tex]
Why don't you start from there?

Well I understand how this gives a Lie-algebra valued one-form on G itself, but I don't see how it does on the full bundle P. For example, on the next page, Nakahara says that [tex] \mathrm{d}_Pg_i(\sigma_{i*}X)=0 \mathrm{\ since\ } g\equiv e \mathrm{\ along\ } \sigma_{i*}X,[/tex] and again I have no clue how to make since of the expression [tex] \mathrm{d}_Pg_i(\sigma_{i*}X).[/tex] I've scoured his book and found nothing like it, it really seems to come out of nowhere.

In particular, here is precisely what I don't understand. The argument of [tex] \mathrm{d}_Pg_i(\sigma_{i*}X)[/tex] is a tangent vector on P, which means that the thing that is acting on it should have some kind of "1-form" quality to it, which is good because the thing acting on it is the exterior derivative of something, which smells a lot like a one-form. But how can the exterior derivative on P act on an element g_i in G?? There must be something hiding behind that notation that I'm missing, because this reasoning leads me to a complete and utter roadblock.

Clearly ##g_i## is a map from somewhere into ##G##. That is, ##g_i : \mathcal{X} \to G##. I think your question will be answered if you work out what ##\mathcal{X}## is. It should turn out to be a space where the exterior derivative makes sense.

Okay, I think I've got it, now let's see if I can put it into words (and thanks, by the way, for the patience/hints).

We use the notation of the first post above. Namely, [itex]\phi_i:U_i\times G\rightarrow \pi^{-1}(U_i)[/itex] is the local trivialization such that [itex]\phi_i(p,g)=\sigma_i(p)g[/itex] with the usual right action of [itex]g[/itex] on the right hand side there. Then [itex]g:\pi^{-1}(U_i)\rightarrow G[/itex] (or equivalently but less rigorously [itex]g:U_i \times G\rightarrow G[/itex]) where [itex]\sigma_i(p)g \mapsto g[/itex] (the abuse of notation is purposeful to highlight the "canonical-ness" of this), and this is well defined because everything in [itex]\pi^{-1}(U_i)[/itex] can be expressed as [itex]\sigma_i(p)g[/itex] for some [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex].

Now we know that the exterior derivative works on the domain of [itex]g[/itex], but we have to modify it a bit because [itex]g[/itex] is not [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]-valued and therefore not a true function for the exterior derivative to act on. Thus, we say that [itex]\mathrm{d}_Pg:T_{\sigma_i(p)g}P\rightarrow T_gG[/itex] defined by [itex]X\mapsto vert(X)[/itex] where [itex]vert(X)[/itex] is the projection into the vertical subspace defined by the section [itex]\sigma_i[/itex] as the complement of the pushforward [itex]\sigma_{i*}Y[/itex] of all [itex]Y\in T_pM[/itex]. Then [itex]g^{-1}\mathrm{d}g[/itex] is a Lie-algebra valued one-form because the left action of [itex]g^{-1}[/itex] takes the element in [itex]T_gG[/itex] to something in [itex]T_eG\simeq \mathfrak{g}[/itex].

That's really the only way I can make sense of this whole thing, so hopefully it's not too far off!

I realize this post is almost two years old, but this is a really confusing notation, and the 'hints' in this thread weren't too useful. Since I eventually figured out how to understand this I thought I would post to help those in the same situation who might stumble on this thread through a search.

Even though Nakahara says ##d_Pg## is an "exterior derivative" it is better to understand it as the differential of the map ##g : P\rightarrow G##. In other words it is the pushforward [tex]dg \equiv g_\star : T_uP \rightarrow T_g G.[/tex] Perhaps it indeed can be understood as an exterior derivative of a Lie algebra-valued form. But other sources are more clear it is a pushforward (mathematicians use the notation ##d## in both cases), and this is easier for me to understand. The original poster came to a similar conclusion himself.

So the definition
[tex]
\omega_i \equiv g_i^{-1}\pi^*A_ig_i + g_i^{-1}\mathrm{d}_Pg_i[/tex]
really means
[tex]
\omega_i \equiv \text{Ad}_{g_i^{-1}}\pi^*A_i+ L_{g_i^{-1}\star}g_{i\star}[/tex]
where ##L_{g_i^{-1}\star}## is the pushforward of the left-translation which takes ## T_{g_i} G \rightarrow T_e G = \mathfrak{g}##. If you use this definition, Nakahara's proofs that ##\omega## has the required properties are easy to follow.

Well, even though my reply is close to a year late, I thought you should know that I've read this response and I love it, THANK YOU. It all makes sense now :)

Related to Notation in Ch. 10 of Nakahara

What is the purpose of notation in Chapter 10 of Nakahara?

The purpose of notation in Chapter 10 of Nakahara is to provide a standardized way of representing mathematical concepts and equations. This notation helps to make the concepts and equations more concise and easier to understand and work with.

How does notation in Chapter 10 of Nakahara help with mathematical calculations?

The notation used in Chapter 10 of Nakahara is designed to be consistent and unambiguous, making it easier to perform mathematical calculations and proofs. It also allows for easier communication between scientists and researchers, as they can use the same notation to refer to the same mathematical concept.

What are some key symbols used in the notation of Chapter 10 of Nakahara?

Some key symbols used in the notation of Chapter 10 of Nakahara include Greek letters such as alpha (α), beta (β), and gamma (γ), as well as symbols for mathematical operations such as multiplication (×), division (÷), and exponentiation (^).

Why is it important for scientists to understand and use the notation in Chapter 10 of Nakahara?

Understanding and using the notation in Chapter 10 of Nakahara is important for scientists because it allows for clear and concise communication of mathematical concepts and equations. It also helps to avoid confusion and errors when working with complex mathematical ideas.

Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when using the notation in Chapter 10 of Nakahara?

Yes, there are some common mistakes to watch out for when using the notation in Chapter 10 of Nakahara. These include using incorrect symbols, misinterpreting the meaning of symbols, and not following the established order of operations. It is important to double-check the notation to ensure accuracy and avoid mistakes.