Notation: getting one value from arg max

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for notation to indicate the last possible index with the highest value for a given function or set of functions. The desired outcome is to retrieve the index of the function with the highest value for a specific input, and if there are multiple functions with the same highest value, the last index should be returned. There does not seem to be a standard notation for this.
Max.Planck
I want to take the arg max over a number of functions as below, however it is possible that there are multiple i's for which the result is maximal. How do i denote that I want to take the last possible i, for example if it results in 3 and 5 I want it to return 5, is there notation available for this?

[itex] arg\,max_{i} f_{i}(\mathbf{x}) [/itex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I am not aware of such notation, but it's unclear to me whether you're looking to denote $$ argmax f\text{ where }f(x)=max_{\{i\}}f_i(x) $$ or $$ max_{\{i\}} argmax f_i $$

I want to get the index of the function with the highest value for that particular x, and if there are several, the last index should be returned.

OK, so ## \max(\text{argmax}_{i}f_i(x)) ##... Sorry, can't think of a standard notation for that, maybe others will.

Related to Notation: getting one value from arg max

1. What is the purpose of using "arg max" notation?

The "arg max" notation is used to represent the argument that maximizes a function. It is commonly used in mathematical and scientific fields to find the value or input that results in the highest output from a given function.

2. How is "arg max" notation different from "max" notation?

While "max" notation represents the maximum value of a function, "arg max" notation represents the input or argument that results in that maximum value. In other words, "max" is the output while "arg max" is the input.

3. Can "arg max" notation be used for multiple variables?

Yes, "arg max" notation can be used for functions with multiple variables. In this case, it represents the combination of inputs that results in the maximum output of the function.

4. Is "arg max" notation the same as "argmax" notation?

Yes, "arg max" and "argmax" are both commonly used notations for the same concept. They both represent the argument that maximizes a function.

5. Are there any limitations to using "arg max" notation?

One limitation of using "arg max" notation is that it assumes that the function has a maximum value. If the function does not have a maximum value, then "arg max" notation cannot be applied.