Not getting the right answers for sine, cosine and tangent with TI-89

In summary, there are several common causes for not getting the right answers for sine, cosine, and tangent on a TI-89 calculator, including incorrect input, using the wrong mode, using the wrong function, and using the wrong syntax for inverse trigonometric functions. To check if the calculator is in the correct mode for calculating trigonometric functions, press the "Mode" button and make sure the "Angle" setting is correct. The correct syntax for using inverse trigonometric functions is "sin^-1", "cos^-1", and "tan^-1". If you get an error, it could be due to incorrect syntax or input. Troubleshooting steps include resetting the calculator and consulting the user manual.
frfrfrenchy
I'm not getting the right answers for sine, cosine and tangent functions. I have no idea why this is.

Computer science news on Phys.org
did you check whether you're in radians or degrees?

How do I do that? I just got this calculator.

click on F2 (window)

look for radians | degrees

and highlight the one you want and click enter

Related to Not getting the right answers for sine, cosine and tangent with TI-89

What are the common causes of not getting the right answers for sine, cosine, and tangent on a TI-89 calculator?

There are several possible reasons for not getting the correct answers for sine, cosine, and tangent on a TI-89 calculator. These include incorrect input of the function or angle, using the wrong mode (degree or radian), using the wrong function (sin, cos, or tan), and using the wrong syntax for inverse trigonometric functions.

How can I check if my calculator is in the correct mode for calculating trigonometric functions?

To check if your TI-89 calculator is in the correct mode for calculating trigonometric functions, press the "Mode" button and make sure that the "Angle" setting is set to either "Degree" or "Radian", depending on the units you are using for your calculations.

What is the correct syntax for using inverse trigonometric functions on a TI-89 calculator?

The correct syntax for using inverse trigonometric functions on a TI-89 calculator is "sin^-1" for arcsine, "cos^-1" for arccosine, and "tan^-1" for arctangent. Make sure to use the "^" button for the inverse function, rather than the regular trigonometric function buttons.

Why am I getting an error when trying to calculate inverse trigonometric functions on my TI-89 calculator?

If you are getting an error when trying to calculate inverse trigonometric functions on your TI-89 calculator, it could be due to using the wrong syntax or inputting an angle outside of the function's domain. Make sure to double check your syntax and angle input to ensure they are correct.

How can I troubleshoot other issues with getting the correct answers for sine, cosine, and tangent on my TI-89 calculator?

If you are still having trouble getting the correct answers for sine, cosine, and tangent on your TI-89 calculator, try resetting the calculator, double checking your input and syntax, and consulting the user manual for further troubleshooting steps.