Not even close to being an engineer, but got an engineering question

In summary, the conversation discusses the optimal placement of two posts holding up a beam to minimize deflection when a load is placed on it. The context is building an elevated platform bed and deciding the best positioning of the legs. It is suggested that placing the posts less than 25% in from the end of the beam may be more effective. The conversation also mentions the importance of load distance and provides resources for further information on beam deflection.
Razzle-Snout
Thanks in advance for indulging me. I was on another forum (a woodworkers forum) discussing bed design (I'm not really a carpenter either, sort of a intermediate woodworking hobbyist). My question there, and now here, has to do with figuring out the optimal placement for two posts holding up a beam. The goal is to minimize deflection of the beam when a load is placed on it at any point. The specific context is that I am building an elevated platform bed and trying to decide the optimal positioning of the legs onto the bed rails, so as to minimize any tendency of the rail to deflect downwards when it is supporting the sleeper + bed materials. This tendency to sag would be most acute in the middle obviously.

My initial thought was that if you had a 3 ft beam being held up with a single post, then the best placement is obviously in the middle (so that it forms a T). Therefore, if you had a 6 ft beam (bed rail), you might want to treat it as two 3 ft beams placed side to side, such that the posts would be 1.5 ft in from either end (1.5 ft, leg, 3 ft, leg, 1.5 ft). However, on further reflection, it seems that the situation with a 6 ft beam and two posts is comparable to a (3 ft beam with a single post) X 2, only when a point load is placed outboard of the legs (somewhere in the 1.5 ft sections that extend beyond the legs). If however such a load were placed anywhere in the middle, then the tendency to sag would be counteracted to some degree by both posts (legs). This, in turn, suggests to me that the best post (bed leg) placement would be something LESS than 25% in from the end of the beam (bed rail). I assume that the tendency to sag (or with a perfectly rigid beam, the force which would try to break the beam off the post) is partly a function of the load's distance from the support post, and that perhaps this is not linear. I assume also that this info is important for figuring out the optimal placement. But then again, as I said at the start, I am not even close to being an engineer. It sounds like a very basic engineering question though (like in building bridges or buildings, etc.)

Thanks in advance for any illumination on this issue, and I apologize for any mis-use of terminology (e.g., force, point load, etc.)

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

Related to Not even close to being an engineer, but got an engineering question

1. Is it possible for someone without an engineering background to understand engineering concepts?

Yes, it is possible for someone without an engineering background to understand engineering concepts. While a formal education in engineering can provide a strong foundation, anyone with a strong interest and determination can learn and understand engineering principles through self-study and hands-on experience.

2. What are some resources for non-engineers to learn about engineering?

There are many resources available for non-engineers to learn about engineering. Online courses, books, and workshops are great options for self-study. Additionally, reaching out to engineers in your network or joining online communities can provide valuable insights and guidance.

3. Can someone with a non-engineering background work in the engineering field?

Yes, someone with a non-engineering background can work in the engineering field. While a degree in engineering may be required for certain positions, there are many roles in the engineering industry that do not require a formal education. These roles may include project management, technical writing, sales, and marketing.

4. How can non-engineers contribute to engineering projects?

Non-engineers can contribute to engineering projects in various ways. They can use their skills in communication, problem-solving, and project management to support and collaborate with engineers. Additionally, their diverse perspectives and backgrounds can bring new ideas and insights to the project.

5. What are some common misconceptions about non-engineers in the engineering field?

Some common misconceptions about non-engineers in the engineering field include the belief that they do not have the necessary technical knowledge or skills to contribute, or that they cannot understand complex engineering concepts. However, these misconceptions are often unfounded as non-engineers can bring valuable skills and perspectives to the field and can learn and understand engineering concepts through dedication and hard work.