Normalizing psi in harmonic oscillator

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a wave function, which is a mix of several eigenstates with definite coefficients C1 and C2. The question is whether the wave function is already normalized or if it needs to be normalized despite the given coefficients. It is suggested to take the integral with the given coefficients to check if it yields one, which would indicate normalization.
3uc1id
My question is pretty easy (i think). I have a wavefcn PSI defined at t=0. The PSI is a mix of several eigenstates. Let's say PHI(x,0)=C1phi1 + C2 phi3. Now C1 and C2 are given to me, so I am wondering is this wavefcn. already normalized, or do i have to normalize it despite definite C1 and C2 already being given?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since phi1 and phi2 are eigenstates they should be normalized already. I suggest you take the integral with C1 and C2 plugged in and see if it yields one. In other words show that [itex]|C_1|^2+|C_2|^2=1[/itex].

thank you.

Related to Normalizing psi in harmonic oscillator

1. What is psi in the context of a harmonic oscillator?

Psi, or ψ, is a mathematical symbol used to represent the wavefunction in quantum mechanics. In the context of a harmonic oscillator, ψ refers to the probability amplitude of finding the particle at a certain position and time.

2. Why is it necessary to normalize psi in a harmonic oscillator?

Normalizing ψ is necessary in order to ensure that the total probability of finding the particle in all possible positions is equal to 1. This is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and is essential for determining the correct outcomes of experiments.

3. How do you normalize psi in a harmonic oscillator?

To normalize ψ in a harmonic oscillator, you must first calculate the integral of the square of the wavefunction over all possible positions. This integral is then used to divide the original wavefunction, resulting in a normalized wavefunction with a total probability of 1.

4. What are the consequences of not normalizing psi in a harmonic oscillator?

If ψ is not properly normalized, it can lead to incorrect predictions and outcomes in experiments. This is because the total probability of finding the particle in all possible positions will not equal 1, which violates the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.

5. Can psi ever be non-normalizable in a harmonic oscillator?

In most cases, ψ can be properly normalized in a harmonic oscillator. However, there are certain scenarios where the wavefunction may be non-normalizable, such as when dealing with infinite potential wells. In these cases, alternative methods must be used to properly describe the system.