Normalization of Wavefunction Integration

In summary, the student is having trouble determining the correct value for A in order for the wavefunction to be correctly normalized, despite correctly performing the integration. The solution manual suggests using a property of integration to simplify the process, but the student is unsure if they have applied it correctly. The expert advises the student to substitute a new variable and evaluate the definite integral in order to get the correct answer. The expert also provides an example to help the student better understand the process.
brinraeven

Homework Statement

[/B]
upload_2017-10-1_10-12-35.png

Determine the value that A (assumed real) must have if the wavefunction is to be correctly normalised, i.e. the volume integral of |Ψ|2 over all space is equal to unity.

Homework Equations

Integration by parts

upload_2017-10-1_10-14-50.png
upload_2017-10-1_10-15-0.png
(I think?)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I've managed to do the integration correctly (I think), but I don't know where to go from here. I have the solution manual, but it skips most steps, so I don't know how to get there. It seems like it has something to do with writing out e^-x as a sum, since factorials play into it, but I don't know how.

My work:
upload_2017-10-1_10-17-34.png

upload_2017-10-1_10-18-4.png

upload_2017-10-1_10-18-35.png

upload_2017-10-1_10-18-56.png

upload_2017-10-1_10-19-13.png

Solution manual:
upload_2017-10-1_10-19-40.png

Physics news on Phys.org
While I didn't check every step - it looks like you got it generally correct. But you haven't evaluated the definite integral yet. In the end, you should just get a number not a function of ##r##. And the mysterious factorials in the book solution are coming from the formula ##
\int_0^\infty u^n e^{-u} du = n!##. It might be handy to remember that, so you don't have to do integration by parts over and over again.

Likes brinraeven
brinraeven said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
View attachment 212088
Determine the value that A (assumed real) must have if the wavefunction is to be correctly normalised, i.e. the volume integral of |Ψ|2 over all space is equal to unity.

Homework Equations

Integration by parts

View attachment 212089 View attachment 212090 (I think?)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I've managed to do the integration correctly (I think), but I don't know where to go from here. I have the solution manual, but it skips most steps, so I don't know how to get there. It seems like it has something to do with writing out e^-x as a sum, since factorials play into it, but I don't know how.

My work:
View attachment 212091
View attachment 212092
View attachment 212093
View attachment 212094
View attachment 212095
Solution manual:
View attachment 212096

Have not checked your details, but note that you are doing a lot more work than you need to. You want to compute an integral of the form
$$\int_0^{\infty} (a_2 r^2 + a_3 r^3 + a_4 r^4) e^{-cr} \, dr$$
with known constants ##a_2, a_3, a_4## and ##c > 0##.

It is easy to compute ##F(c) = \int_0^{\infty} e^{-cr} \, dr .## Then, since ##(\partial / \partial c)^n e^{-cr} = (-1)^n r^n e^{-rc}## we have
$$ \int_0^{\infty} r^n e^{-rc} \, dr = (-1)^n \int_0^{\infty} \left(\frac{\partial}{\partial c} \right)^n e^{-cr} \, dr = (-1)^n \left(\frac{d}{dc} \right)^n F(c).$$
This avoids integration by parts and most other complications.

Last edited:
Thanks so much! I had no idea that was a property. So, I tried to work my first term using that property, but I'm not sure I did it right.
upload_2017-10-1_13-56-33.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-1_13-30-48.png
    upload_2017-10-1_13-30-48.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 531
  • upload_2017-10-1_13-55-48.png
    upload_2017-10-1_13-55-48.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 505
Last edited by a moderator:
Ray Vickson said:
Have not checked your details, but note that you are doing a lot more work than you need to. You want to compute an integral of the form
$$\int_0^{\infty} (a_2 r^2 + a_3 r^3 + a_4 r^4) e^{-cr} \, dr$$
with known constants ##a_2, a_3, a_4## and ##c > 0##.

It is easy to compute ##F(c) = \int_0^{\infty} e^{-cr} \, dr .## Then, since ##(\partial / \partial c)^n e^{-cr} = (-1)^n r^n e^{-rc}## we have
$$ \int_0^{\infty} r^n e^{-rc} \, dr = (-1)^n \int_0^{\infty} \left(\frac{\partial}{\partial c} \right)^n e^{-cr} \, dr = (-1)^n \left(\frac{d}{dc} \right)^n F(c).$$
This avoids integration by parts and most other complications.

This is also great. I attempted to work it out using that, and I am closer to a solution, but still not sure I computed it correctly.

upload_2017-10-1_13-57-18.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-1_13-44-40.png
    upload_2017-10-1_13-44-40.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 503
Last edited by a moderator:
brinraeven said:
Thanks so much! I had no idea that was a property. So, I tried to work my first term using that property, but I'm not sure I did it right.
View attachment 212105

Not right. You aren't substituting consistently. Change the variable to ##v=uz## and write it completely in terms of ##v##. Then think about it.

Last edited:
BTW you can get the correct answer out of your first effort. But you didn't actually evaluate the definite integral. You need to substitute ##r=0## and then think about the limit as ##r \rightarrow \infty##.

Dick said:
BTW you can get the correct answer out of your first effort. But you didn't actually evaluate the definite integral. You need to substitute ##r=0## and then think about the limit as ##r \rightarrow \infty##.

I figured that, but was having a ton of trouble envisioning it. Well, then I went back after you said this, and gave them all the common denominator of z^3. The only term that does not have an r in the numerator becomes -8a^3/z^3, which gives me the correct answer, but negative, but that doesn't matter since the final answer is +- a square root anyway. How does having r in the numerator make all the other terms disappear? Doesn't that mean all the terms go to infinity?

But wait, it's infinity minus -8a^3/z^3, but wouldn't that equal infinity?

brinraeven said:
I figured that, but was having a ton of trouble envisioning it. Well, then I went back after you said this, and gave them all the common denominator of z^3. The only term that does not have an r in the numerator becomes -8a^3/z^3, which gives me the correct answer, but negative, but that doesn't matter since the final answer is +- a square root anyway. How does having r in the numerator make all the other terms disappear? Doesn't that mean all the terms go to infinity?

But wait, it's infinity minus -8a^3/z^3, but wouldn't that equal infinity?

Take the example of ##\int_0^\infty u^2e^{-u}du##. The indefinite integral is ##(-u^2-2u-2)e^{-u}##. You have to evaluate it between the limits of ##0## and ##\infty##. The ##0## part is easy, it just gives you ##-2##. For the upper limit you can't just put ##u=\infty##, you need to figure out the limit of ##(-u^2-2u-2)e^{-u}## as ##u## approaches ##\infty##. I claim that ##\lim_{u \to \infty}u^n e^{-u}=0## for any ##n##. You can prove it with l'Hopital's rule, or if this is a physics course you may not have to prove it. So the difference is ##0-(-2)=2## and that's the value of the definite integral.

Thank you everyone! I did end up doing it the long way, only because I couldn't quite get the z^3 on the bottom for the other method, but I will keep practicing it, because it is infinitely easier than the long way.

brinraeven said:
Thank you everyone! I did end up doing it the long way, only because I couldn't quite get the z^3 on the bottom for the other method, but I will keep practicing it, because it is infinitely easier than the long way.

$$F(c) = \int_0^{\infty} e^{-rc} \, dr = \frac{1}{c}, $$
so
$$ \begin{array}{rcl}
\displaystyle \int_0^{\infty} r e^{-rc} \, dr &=&\displaystyle -\frac{d}{dc} \frac{1}{c} = \frac{1}{c^2} \\
\displaystyle \int_0^{\infty} r^2 e^{-rc} \, dt &=&\displaystyle -\frac{d}{dc} \frac{1}{c^2} = \frac{2}{c^3} \\
\displaystyle \int_0^{\infty} r^3 e^{-rc} \, dt &=&\displaystyle -\frac{d}{dc} \frac{2}{c^3} = \frac{3!}{c^4}
\end{array}
$$
and so forth. By induction we have ##\int_0^{\infty} r^n e^{-rc} \, dr = n!/c^{n+1}.## As I said already: almost no work is needed, and the chances of making an error are almost zero.

Likes brinraeven

Related to Normalization of Wavefunction Integration

What is normalization of wavefunction integration?

Normalization of wavefunction integration is a process used in quantum mechanics to ensure that the total probability of finding a particle in any location is equal to 1. It involves integrating the square of the wavefunction over all possible positions.

Why is normalization of wavefunction integration important?

Normalization is important because it ensures that the total probability of finding a particle in any location is equal to 1, which is necessary for the wavefunction to accurately describe the behavior of a quantum system. Without normalization, the wavefunction would not accurately represent the probability of finding a particle in a given location.

How is normalization of wavefunction integration carried out?

Normalization is typically carried out by solving an integral equation known as the normalization condition, which involves integrating the square of the wavefunction over all possible positions. This equation is solved using mathematical methods such as integration by parts or substitution.

What is the role of normalization constants in wavefunction integration?

Normalization constants are used to scale the wavefunction so that it satisfies the normalization condition. These constants are typically determined by solving the normalization equation, and they ensure that the total probability of finding a particle in any location is equal to 1.

Are there any limitations to normalization of wavefunction integration?

Normalization of wavefunction integration assumes that the wavefunction is continuous and differentiable everywhere, which may not always be the case in certain quantum systems. Additionally, normalization is only applicable to stationary states, so it may not accurately describe the behavior of particles in non-stationary states.