Normalization of a spin function

In summary, normalization of a spin function is the process of dividing it by a normalization constant in order to ensure that the total probability of finding a particle in any state is equal to 1. This is important because it allows for accurate calculations of probabilities in quantum mechanics and ensures that the wave function is physically meaningful. Normalization is achieved by dividing the spin function by the square root of the integral of the square of the spin function over all possible values of the spin variables. Not normalizing a spin function can lead to incorrect predictions and inconsistencies in quantum mechanics calculations. While normalization is not always necessary, it is a crucial step in most calculations to ensure accurate results.
physgirl

Homework Statement

Given that the antisymmetric spin function for a 2 electron system is N[a1b2-a2b1], find the normalization constant N. (and by a and b I mean the alpha and beta spin states and by 1 and 2, I mean the labels on the two electrons...

Homework Equations

Normalization: 1=integral over all relevant space of (wavefunction*wavefunction)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried to square the spin function given, set it equal to 1, and solve for N. However, as the squared value of [a1b2-a2b1]... or what I THINK is the squared value of that, I kept on getting zero... what am I doing wrong in doing:

square of spin function=(N[a1b2-a2b1])^2
=(N^2)<a1b2-a2b1|a1b2-a2b1>
=(N^2)[<a1|a1><b2|b2>-<a1|a2><b2|b1>-<a2|a1><b1|b2>+<a2|a2><b1|b1>]

and because any sort of <a|a> is 1 and so is <b|b>, all those braket stuff are equal to 1, which overall makes the equation 0... I'm confused :(

Physics news on Phys.org
no, while <a1 b2|a1 b2> = 1, <a1 b2|a2 b1>=0
therefore you get
1= N^2 (1+0+0+1)
1= 2N^2
N = 1/sqrt(2) which is what one would expect naively.

note: the 2e- system has 4 states:
|a1 a2>,|a1 b2>,|a2 b1>,|a2 b2>
these are tensor products. eg. |a1 a2> = |a1>|a2>

how did you get (1+0+0+1)? I kept on getitng something like 1-1+1-1 or something that kept on cancelling all out to 0 :(

physgirl said:
square of spin function=(N[a1b2-a2b1])^2
=(N^2)<a1b2-a2b1|a1b2-a2b1>
=(N^2)[<a1|a1><b2|b2>-<a1|a2><b2|b1>-<a2|a1><b1|b2>+<a2|a2><b1|b1>]

and because any sort of <a|a> is 1 and so is <b|b>, all those braket stuff are equal to 1, which overall makes the equation 0... I'm confused :(

Your state

[tex]
|\psi\rangle = N|\alpha_1\beta_2-\alpha_2\beta_1\rangle
[/tex]

looks bad. Use this kind of notation instead:

[tex]
|\psi\rangle = N\big(|\alpha_1\beta_2\rangle-|\alpha_2\beta_1\rangle\big)
[/tex]

When you compute

[tex]
\langle\psi|\psi\rangle
[/tex]

don't start splitting states [itex]|\alpha_i\beta_j\rangle[/itex] into sums of states [itex]|\alpha_i\rangle[/itex] and [itex]|\beta_j\rangle[/itex], because that is wrong.

Ok, I got it now : ) but now my question is, I got to the point where N=sqrt(1/2). So can N be both positive AND negative of sqrt(1/2)?

physgirl said:
Ok, I got it now : ) but now my question is, I got to the point where N=sqrt(1/2). So can N be both positive AND negative of sqrt(1/2)?

In fact

[tex]
N=e^{i\theta}\sqrt{1/2}
[/tex]

are all valid normalization constants, where theta is some arbitrary constant, but the simplest [itex]\sqrt{1/2}[/itex] is usually preferred.

Related to Normalization of a spin function

What is normalization of a spin function?

Normalization of a spin function is the process of ensuring that the total probability of finding a particle in any state is equal to 1. This is done by dividing the spin function by a normalization constant.

Why is normalization of a spin function important?

Normalization is important because it allows for accurate calculations of probabilities in quantum mechanics. It also ensures that the wave function is physically meaningful and describes a valid physical state.

How is normalization of a spin function achieved?

To normalize a spin function, you simply divide it by the square root of the integral of the square of the spin function over all possible values of the spin variables. This ensures that the total probability is equal to 1.

What are the consequences of not normalizing a spin function?

If a spin function is not normalized, the calculated probabilities will be incorrect and the wave function will not properly describe a physical state. This can lead to incorrect predictions and inconsistencies in the results of quantum mechanics calculations.

Is normalization of a spin function always necessary?

Normalization is not always necessary, as there are some cases where the spin function is already normalized. However, it is a crucial step in most quantum mechanics calculations and should be done to ensure accurate results.