Normalization constant for Hydrogen atom

In summary: What you have is the radial wave function so the limits of integration would be from 0 to infinity.What you have is the radial wave function so the limits of integration would be from 0 to infinity.
Reshma
Help, I'm losing it :cry:.

Wavefunction of Hydrogen atom in the ground state is:
[tex]\Psi (r) = Ae^{-r/r_0}[/tex]
Determine A.

I set about trying to obtain the Normalization factor.
[tex]\int \Psi^2 (r) dV = 1[/tex]

[tex]\int \left(A^2 e^{-2r/r_0}\right)(4\pi r^2)dr = 1[/tex]

What limits should I take for this integral?

Likes wassole
Physics news on Phys.org
What you have is the radial wave function so the limits of integration would be from 0 to infinity.

Tide said:
What you have is the radial wave function so the limits of integration would be from 0 to infinity.
Thanks, Tide. It worked! I was trying to integrate between 0 to r0 and ended up with a nutty answer :biggrin: !

So,
[tex]\int_0^{\infty} \left(A^2 e^{-2r/r_0}\right)(4\pi r^2)dr = 1[/tex]

[tex]A^2 4\pi \int_0^{\infty} r^2 e^{-2r/r_0}dr = 1[/tex]

[tex]A^2 4\pi \left[{-r_0r^2\over 2} - {r_0^{2}r\over 2} - {r_0^{3}\over 4}\right]e^{-2r/r_0} \vert_0^{\infty} = 1[/tex]

The first two terms go to zero and only the last term survives.

[tex]A^2 4\pi \left({r_0^{3}\over 4}\right) = 1[/tex]

[tex]A = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi r_0^{3}}}[/tex]

So the normalized wavefunction will be:
[tex]\Psi = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi r_0^{3}}}e^{-r/r_0}[/tex]

I was looking at your solution and a problem came into my head which relates to the ground state wave function. I noticed that the function is actually independent of theta and phi (Spherical coordinates). But what does that actually imply in terms of where the electrons are distributed in the atom?

Thanks

Regards,
The Keck

The ground state of Hydrogen atom does not contain angle dependance, it is spherical symmetric.

the keck said:
I was looking at your solution and a problem came into my head which relates to the ground state wave function. I noticed that the function is actually independent of theta and phi (Spherical coordinates). But what does that actually imply in terms of where the electrons are distributed in the atom?

Thanks

Regards,
The Keck

You are still trying to think with the particle picture... where electrons are points distributed somewhere in the space.

The ground state function you obtain by solving the schroedinger equation is the probability amplitude of the electron... Hence, in a sense... electron is like a cloud spread out around the nucleus...

Hi,
I don't understand why the first two terms go to zero and why exponential goes to 1. Is r always 0?
Irene

Related to Normalization constant for Hydrogen atom

1. What is the normalization constant for the Hydrogen atom?

The normalization constant for the Hydrogen atom is a mathematical constant that is used to normalize the wave function of the Hydrogen atom. It is denoted by the symbol "N".

2. Why is the normalization constant important for the Hydrogen atom?

The normalization constant is important because it ensures that the wave function of the Hydrogen atom is properly normalized, which means that the probability of finding the electron in any region of space sums up to one.

3. How is the normalization constant calculated for the Hydrogen atom?

The normalization constant for the Hydrogen atom is calculated by integrating the square of the wave function over all space and then taking the reciprocal square root of that value. This ensures that the total probability of finding the electron is equal to one.

4. What is the value of the normalization constant for the ground state of the Hydrogen atom?

The value of the normalization constant for the ground state of the Hydrogen atom is approximately 0.56419. This value is dependent on the specific form of the wave function used.

5. How does the normalization constant change for different energy levels of the Hydrogen atom?

The normalization constant for the Hydrogen atom changes for different energy levels because the wave function for each energy level has a different shape and therefore requires a different normalization constant. However, the total probability of finding the electron in any region of space remains equal to one for all energy levels.