Normalization coefficient for Spherical Harmonics with m=l

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulty with finding the coefficient in a problem involving an integral of (Sin(x))^(2l+1). The solution manual uses a recurrence formula to solve the integral, while the person attempting the problem used substitution and the binomial theorem. The main issue is understanding how to get from their answer to the one provided in the solution manual.
david13579

Homework Statement

Well it is not the problem itself that bothers me but the maths behind a part of it. As part of finding the coefficient I had to solve the integral of (Sin(x))^(2l+ 1). The solution given by the solution manual just pretty much jumps to the final answer http://i.imgur.com/hhoeLKE.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using substitution and the binomial theorem I was able to get a solution (of the integral part only, It would still need solving for the coefficient) and got this http://i.imgur.com/wnOUNIp.png

The problem is I don't see how to get from my answer to the one on the solution manual. I know they are equivalent because I checked numerically for different values of l.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
They use a recurrence formula for sine integral:
[tex]\int sin^{2l+1} \left ( \theta \right )d\theta =-\frac{sin^{2l}\left ( \theta \right )cos\left ( \theta \right )}{2l+1}+\frac{2l}{2l+1}\int sin^{2l-1} \left ( \theta \right )d\theta[/tex]
And since
[tex]sin\left ( 0 \right )=sin\left ( \pi \right )=0[/tex]
You are left only with:
[tex]\int sin^{2l+1} \left ( \theta \right )d\theta =\frac{2l}{2l+1}\int sin^{2l-1} \left ( \theta \right )d\theta[/tex]
Finally they just sort of "calculate" this recurrently, and you are left only with the product of coefficients on the right side before the integral.

Related to Normalization coefficient for Spherical Harmonics with m=l

What is the purpose of the normalization coefficient for Spherical Harmonics with m=l?

The normalization coefficient for Spherical Harmonics with m=l is used to ensure that the total probability of finding an electron in a given orbital is equal to 1. This is necessary for accurately calculating properties such as electron density and energy levels.

How is the normalization coefficient for Spherical Harmonics with m=l calculated?

The normalization coefficient is calculated by taking the square root of a ratio involving the factorial of the sum of the principle quantum number (n) and orbital angular momentum quantum number (l), and the product of the factorial of n and the square of 2. This ratio is then multiplied by a constant factor.

Why is the normalization coefficient for Spherical Harmonics with m=l different for different values of l and m?

The normalization coefficient is dependent on both the principle quantum number (n) and the orbital angular momentum quantum number (l). Since different values of l and m correspond to different orbital shapes and orientations, the normalization coefficient will vary accordingly.

How does the normalization coefficient for Spherical Harmonics with m=l affect the shape of the electron orbital?

The normalization coefficient does not directly affect the shape of the electron orbital. However, it does play a crucial role in ensuring that the probability of finding an electron in a particular region is accurately represented, which in turn affects the overall shape of the orbital.

What happens if the normalization coefficient for Spherical Harmonics with m=l is not included in calculations?

If the normalization coefficient is not included, the probabilities of finding an electron in different regions will not be accurately represented. This can lead to incorrect calculations of properties such as electron density and energy levels, and may result in incorrect predictions and interpretations of experimental data.