Normal Stress In A Simple Beam

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a prismatic bar under tension with a load of 100 N applied to both ends and a cross-sectional area of 5 cm2. The formula for stress is mentioned and the attempt at a solution involves converting units to find the normal stress in kPa. The conversation also raises the question of whether the bar is supported in the middle and how to determine the correct force.
Baumer8993

Homework Statement

In a prismatic bar (same cross sectional area throughout the entire length), the load applied to both ends is 100 N causing the member to be in tension. If the cross sectional area of the member is
5 cm2. What is the normal stress in the in kPa?

Homework Equations

stress = force / area

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried without looking at the units, and got 20, which is wrong. I next tried converting everything to m2 to get the answer is pascals the convert to kPa. I got 200 for my second answer. What am I doing wrong? This seems like such a simple problem!

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the derived units of a Pascal? Are they N/m^2 or N/cm^2?

They are N/m^2. I used an online converter to check, so I confused about what I did wrong.

Is the bar supported in the middle? If so, should the force be 100 or 200 N?
How did you get 20?

As a scientist, it is important to carefully consider the units involved in a problem and make sure they are consistent throughout the calculation. In this case, the cross sectional area is given in cm^2 while the load is given in N, so they need to be converted to the same unit before calculating the stress. Converting the area to m^2, we get 0.0005 m^2. Then, using the equation stress = force/area, we get a stress of 200,000 Pa. To convert to kPa, we divide by 1000 and get a final answer of 200 kPa. It is important to pay attention to units in all scientific calculations to ensure accuracy.

Related to Normal Stress In A Simple Beam

1. What is normal stress in a simple beam?

Normal stress in a simple beam is the amount of force per unit area that a beam experiences due to an external load. It is a measure of the internal resistance of the beam to the applied load.

2. How is normal stress calculated in a simple beam?

Normal stress in a simple beam is calculated by dividing the applied load by the cross-sectional area of the beam. The resulting value is expressed in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (Pa).

3. What factors affect the normal stress in a simple beam?

The normal stress in a simple beam is affected by several factors, including the magnitude and distribution of the applied load, the type and dimensions of the beam, and the material properties of the beam. Other factors such as temperature and external constraints can also impact the normal stress.

4. How does normal stress impact the structural integrity of a simple beam?

Normal stress plays a critical role in determining the structural integrity of a simple beam. Excessive normal stress can cause the beam to deform or fail, while insufficient normal stress can result in the beam being unable to support the applied load. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider and calculate the normal stress in a simple beam to ensure its structural safety.

5. What are some common applications of normal stress analysis in simple beams?

Normal stress analysis is used in a variety of applications involving simple beams, such as in the design and construction of buildings, bridges, and other structures. It is also important in areas such as mechanical engineering, where it is used in the design of machine parts and components. Additionally, normal stress analysis is used for quality control and testing in the manufacturing of materials and products.