Normal/Shear stress & Von Mises analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses the analysis of potential failure in a shaft with an applied tensile load at one end and a torque near the midpoint. The Von Mises equation simplifies to a single normal stress and a single shear stress, but there is uncertainty about the portion of the shaft beyond where the torque is applied. The question is whether there is still a shear stress in this portion, and if not, the Von Mises and Principal Stress equations simplify to only the single normal stress.
TheStebes
Hello all,

I am working on a design project (school work, nothing too important) and I'm trying to wrap my head around how to analyze potential failure in a shaft with an applied tensile load at one end and a torque near the midpoint. (The beam is fixed at the other end.) The tensile force is an axial load. http://imgur.com/BeA0e.png"

Looking at the Von Mises equation, things simplify down to a single normal stress in the axial direction and a singe shear stress.

What I'm not sure about is the portion of the beam beyond the point where the torque is applied. I understand that the shaft does not continue to twist beyond this point, but is there still a shear stress in this portion of the shaft? If the answer is no, as I suspect it might be, the effective stress given by the von mises equation simplifies to the single normal stress in the x-direction.

Thanks for the help, sorry if this should have been posted in the mech. eng. section.
Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I guess I'll reword my most basic question.

Let's say you have a shaft fixed at one end, free at the other. If you apply a torque at the midpoint, will there be a shear stress anywhere between where the torque is applied and the free end of the beam?

In this problem, if there isn't a shear stress in that portion of the shaft, both the Von Mises equation and the Principal Stress equation simplify down to the single normal stress (due to the axial load).

Your intuition is right; there is no shear stress between points B and C, only normal stress.

Related to Normal/Shear stress & Von Mises analysis

1. What is normal stress?

Normal stress is a type of stress that acts perpendicularly to the surface of a material or object. It is also known as tensile stress, and it can cause a material to stretch or elongate.

2. What is shear stress?

Shear stress is a type of stress that acts parallel to the surface of a material or object. It can cause the material to deform or slide along its surface.

3. How is normal stress calculated?

Normal stress is calculated by dividing the force applied to an object by its cross-sectional area. It is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

4. What is Von Mises analysis?

Von Mises analysis is a method used to determine the maximum stress and potential failure points in a material or structure. It takes into account both normal and shear stresses and combines them into a single value known as the Von Mises stress.

5. Why is Von Mises stress used in engineering?

Von Mises stress is used in engineering because it provides a more accurate representation of the stress state in a material than just looking at normal or shear stress alone. It takes into account the combined effects of both types of stress and is a useful tool for predicting potential failure points in a structure.