Nonconducting Liquids: Vegetable Oil & Mineral Oil

• Thread starter ValiumMm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Liquids
In summary, there are many non-conducting liquids such as organic liquids like n-hexane and heptane, transformer oils, and motorcycle oils. Liquid nitrogen can also be used for cooling but may be too cold to submerge a device in unharmed. However, it can be used with pipes or other methods.
ValiumMm
Hi, i am doing a project where i need to get non conducting liquids,

So far i understand Vegetable oil, mineral oil are non conductive,

What other liquids are non conductive ?

Thanks very much

Physics news on Phys.org
You can find a lot of organic liquids such as n-hexane, heptane...alcanes, olefins, .., which are non-conductive.

Where could i get these from, Also they can't corrode metal either, because i am submerging my computer in a liquid, that i want to be really fine and non conductive and not corrode metal, so i can filter it easy to keep cool and not be conductive. thanks for the help

So you can try some kinds of transformer oils for the best. If not, I think motocycle oil can do the job.

Kk, thanks ill look them up and see how much and located etc, thanks again

Nitrogen? :wink:

cesiumfrog said:
Nitrogen? :wink:

Liquid nitrogen is just too cold to submerge a device in unharmed. Anyway, for the cooling effect, it's great.

ye, for cooling its great, but I am pretty sure its heapsy Costy $$$

pixel01 said:
Liquid nitrogen is just too cold to submerge a device in unharmed.
Shall I take your word for it?

cesiumfrog said:
Shall I take your word for it?

I should think liquid nitrogen is ok as a coolant if you have certain pipes or the like to lead it in, not for the case you'd want to submerge the whole PC into it as Cesium mentioned above.
Anyway, thank you for the link.

Last edited:

Related to Nonconducting Liquids: Vegetable Oil & Mineral Oil

1. What are nonconducting liquids?

Nonconducting liquids are substances that do not allow electricity to flow through them easily. This is because they have a high resistance to the flow of electric current.

2. Is vegetable oil a nonconducting liquid?

Yes, vegetable oil is a nonconducting liquid. It is made up of molecules that do not have free electrons that can move and conduct electricity.

3. How does mineral oil compare to vegetable oil in terms of conductivity?

Mineral oil is also a nonconducting liquid, just like vegetable oil. Both oils have similar properties and do not conduct electricity.

4. Can nonconducting liquids be used as insulators?

Yes, nonconducting liquids such as vegetable oil and mineral oil can be used as insulators. They are commonly used in electrical systems to prevent the flow of electricity and protect against electrical shocks.

5. Are there any safety concerns when working with nonconducting liquids?

Yes, there are some safety concerns when working with nonconducting liquids. These liquids are flammable and should be handled with caution. They can also cause skin irritation and should be kept away from eyes and other sensitive areas. It is important to follow proper safety protocols when working with nonconducting liquids.