Noncommuting operators and uncertainty relations

In summary: Therefore, if A and B are commuting observables, then there is a relation between their eigenvalues that is expressed by the equation \phi = A\psi.
noospace
Hello all,

I've been thinking about the connection between commutativity of operators and uncertainty.

I've convinced myself that to have simultaneous eigenstates is a necessary and sufficient condition for two observeables to be measured simultaneously and accurately.

It's also clear that simultaneous eigenstates gives us commutativity. So we have that non-commuting observables have an uncertainty relation between them.

What's not exactly clear to me is why the converse holds, ie commuting observeables can be measured simultaneously and accurately.

Is there simple proof of this that I'm missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
noospace said:
What's not exactly clear to me is why the converse holds, ie commuting observeables can be measured simultaneously and accurately.

Let A, B two operators with [A,B]=0. If [tex]\psi[/tex] is an eigenstate of B that is [tex]B\psi = b\psi[/tex], then [tex]BA\psi = AB\psi = b A\psi[/tex] so [tex]\phi = A\psi[/tex] is also an eigenstate of B corresponding to the eigenvalue b.

If the eigenvalue b is not degenerate then this means that phi must be proportional to psi, that is [tex]\phi = A\psi = a\psi[/tex] and thus psi is a simultaneous eigenvector of A and B.

If the eigenvalue b is is for example twice degenerate, then you may diagonalize A in the eigen space of b, i.e. find eigenstates psi1 and psi2 of b, that fulfill [tex]A\psi_1 = a_1\psi_1[/tex] and [tex]A\psi_2 = a_2\psi_2[/tex] and consequently psi1 and psi2 serve as a common system of eigenstates for A and B in the subspace defined by the eigenvalue b.

Last edited:
In the degenerate case, I'm not quite understanding what [itex]A\psi[/itex] being an eignestate of [itex]B[/itex] has to do with being able to diagonalize A in the b-eigenspace?

Could someone please help me understand this?

Ahh,

If [itex]A\psi[/itex] belongs to the b-eigenspace then we can express it as

[itex]A\psi = a_1\psi_1 + a_2\psi_2[/itex]
[itex]A(\psi_1 + \psi_2) = a_1\psi_1 + a_2\psi_2[/itex]

so [itex]A\psi_i = a_1\psi_i[/itex] by linear independence.

Related to Noncommuting operators and uncertainty relations

1. What are noncommuting operators?

Noncommuting operators are mathematical operators that do not commute, meaning their order of operation affects the outcome of a calculation. In quantum mechanics, this concept is important because it shows that certain physical quantities, such as position and momentum, cannot be measured simultaneously with complete precision.

2. How do noncommuting operators relate to uncertainty relations?

Noncommuting operators are directly related to uncertainty relations in quantum mechanics. The uncertainty principle, first proposed by Werner Heisenberg, states that the more precisely the position of a particle is known, the less precisely its momentum can be known, and vice versa. This is because the operators for position and momentum do not commute, making it impossible to measure both quantities with complete accuracy.

3. What is the significance of uncertainty relations in quantum mechanics?

Uncertainty relations play a crucial role in quantum mechanics as they limit the precision with which certain physical quantities can be measured. This is due to the noncommutativity of certain operators, which shows that there are inherent limits to the precision of measurements in the quantum world.

4. Can uncertainty relations be violated?

No, uncertainty relations cannot be violated. They are fundamental principles in quantum mechanics and have been extensively tested and verified through experiments. Any attempts to measure both position and momentum of a particle with complete precision will always result in some degree of uncertainty, in accordance with the uncertainty principle.

5. How are noncommuting operators and uncertainty relations applied in practical situations?

Noncommuting operators and uncertainty relations have many practical applications, particularly in quantum information and technology. They are used in quantum cryptography, quantum computing, and other quantum technologies to ensure the security and accuracy of measurements and calculations. They also play a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of particles at the quantum level.