In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of electric field lines and their relation to conservative fields. The idea of non-uniform electric field lines is brought up, but it is ultimately determined that such field lines cannot exist and are not drawn correctly in illustrations. The conversation also touches on the topic of the Gauss theorem and the conditions for an electrostatic field.
Abid Mir
Ok we know that the electric field(uniform or non uniform) is a conservative field.

Imagine three horizontal electric field lines in '+X' direction separated by unequal distances let's say line 1 and 2 is separated by distance 'a' and line 2 and 3 is separted by some distance 'b' such that line 1 and 3 are separated by distance 'a+b' where ' a<b ' ( non uniform electric field lines). Now imagine a rectangular loop which encloses half distance of ' a ' and again half distance of 'b'. Now if we calculate the total work done in moving a unit charge in the rectangular loop we see that the work done comes non zero as a<b and electric field in the region of a is greater than the region of b. That shows that these electric field lines cannot exist. BUT while drawing non uniform electric field we draw them the same way as these lines are drawn. So is our way of drawing non uniform electric field lines incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org
I should think so. Remember that equipotential lines are perpendicular to electric field lines. How would you draw the equipotential lines in the situation you describe ?

BvU said:
I should think so. Remember that equipotential lines are perpendicular to electric field lines. How would you draw the equipotential lines in the situation you describe ?

Well u are talking about a different thing. Pls go through my question again

No I am not talking about a different thing. You can't just imagine field lines. They have to satisfy certain conditions, precisely to constitute a conservative field.
Go back in your Griffiths and re-read the section Divergence and curl of electrostatic fields (3rd ed it's 2.2).

[edit] In fact, in the next section (2.3 in mine) he explicitly adresses your conumdrum:
##\vec E = y\hat x## could not possibly be an electrostatic field; NO set of charges, refgardless of their size and positions, could ever produce such a field

Boy, this Griffiths book is gold !

Last edited:
BvU said:
I can't wait until I get to read one. :wink:

I just imagine it as a topological map, there has to be continuity in the elevations (potentials).

Abid Mir said:
That shows that these electric field lines cannot exist. BUT while drawing non uniform electric field we draw them the same way as these lines are drawn. So is our way of drawing non uniform electric field lines incorrect?
Yes, such lines cannot exist and if some illustration draws them that way then the illustration is wrong.

Likes Abid Mir
BvU said:
No I am not talking about a different thing. You can't just imagine field lines. They have to satisfy certain conditions, precisely to constitute a conservative field.
Go back in your Griffiths and re-read the section Divergence and curl of electrostatic fields (3rd ed it's 2.2).

[edit] In fact, in the next section (2.3 in mine) he explicitly adresses your conumdrum:

Omg i need to get my hands on the griffiths

Will you please elaborate how you did the calculation? Probably then it will be easier to answer your question.

Likes Abid Mir
Korak Biswas said:
Will you please elaborate how you did the calculation? Probably then it will be easier to answer your question.
Integrate E.dl over the whole loop and work comes out to be positive.

Abid Mir said:
Integrate E.dl over the whole loop and work comes out to be positive.
Ok. But what exactly do you mean by field lines? Are they lines of force? Do you define electrostatic field as the areal number density of field lines?

Abid Mir said:
Omg i need to get my hands on the griffiths
Ah! My mistake. I encountered the reference to Griffiths in the other thread on the "magnetic force does no work" issue and didn't realize it was someone else who quoted from that book. So my reference to "your Griffiths" is misplaced.

Likes stedwards
Are you familiar with the Gauss theorem ?

BvU said:
Are you familiar with the Gauss theorem ?

Yeah im

The
Korak Biswas said:
Ok. But what exactly do you mean by field lines? Are they lines of force? Do you define electrostatic field as the areal number density of field lines?
they represent electric field lines of force but non uniform

Abid Mir said:
Ok we know that the electric field(uniform or non uniform) is a conservative field.

Imagine three horizontal electric field lines in '+X' direction separated by unequal distances let's say line 1 and 2 is separated by distance 'a' and line 2 and 3 is separted by some distance 'b' such that line 1 and 3 are separated by distance 'a+b' where ' a<b ' ( non uniform electric field lines). Now imagine a rectangular loop which encloses half distance of ' a ' and again half distance of 'b'. Now if we calculate the total work done in moving a unit charge in the rectangular loop we see that the work done comes non zero as a<b and electric field in the region of a is greater than the region of b. That shows that these electric field lines cannot exist. BUT while drawing non uniform electric field we draw them the same way as these lines are drawn. So is our way of drawing non uniform electric field lines incorrect?
Perhaps a diagram by you would make the situation clearer, but it looks like you are talking of an electrostatic field that is not possible. One of the conditions for an electrostatic field is that the curl of the field must be zero, which indeed translates into the statement that the work done around a closed loop must be zero. so if you are imagining field lines which give non-zero work over a closed loop, then that is an impossible electrostatic field

Likes MariosSam95
Abid Mir said:

I think pictorial representation of field lines is qualitative. Field lines of an electric field are nothing but collection of vectors at every point of space having the same direction of movement of a positive charge placed in that field. So actually field lines exist everywhere .There should not be any gap between them unless you make a part of the space shielded somehow (for instance with a hollow conducting sphere). But there is a way to define electrostatic field in terms of number of field lines. Electrostatic field at a point is defined as the number of field lines per unit area at that point. This is acceptable probably because areal density of field lines varies as ##\frac{1}{r^2}##.To understand it keep a positive charge at the origin .Then large number of (##N \rightarrow\infty##) field lines will be 'emitted' from that point radially outwards. But at distance r the areal number density will be ##\frac{N}{4\pi r^2}##. And as N (although very large) is constant (because there is no other source of field lines), you can say that areal number density of field lines goes as ##\frac{1}{r^2}##. So you may identify it as electric field. So uniform electric field means uniform areal number density and non uniform field means non uniform areal number density of field lines. That's why we represent non uniform electric field with lines having non uniform distances in between them. This is not quantitative at all. If you want a quantitative representation, you have to take care of number density of field lines along with the direction at every point.

Likes MariosSam95

Related to Non Uniform Electric Field Lines Problem

1. What is a non-uniform electric field?

A non-uniform electric field is a type of electric field in which the strength and direction of the electric field is not constant. This means that the electric field lines are closer together in some areas and further apart in others, indicating a change in the strength of the field.

2. How are non-uniform electric fields created?

Non-uniform electric fields can be created by placing two oppositely charged objects close together. The electric field lines will be closer together near the charged objects and further apart as you move away, creating a non-uniform electric field.

3. What is the significance of non-uniform electric fields?

Non-uniform electric fields can affect the movement and behavior of charged particles, causing them to accelerate or decelerate. This is the basis for many everyday technologies, such as electric motors and generators.

4. How can non-uniform electric fields be visualized?

Non-uniform electric fields can be visualized by using electric field line diagrams. These diagrams show the direction and strength of the electric field using lines that are closer together in areas of higher field strength and further apart in areas of lower field strength.

5. How are non-uniform electric fields calculated?

Non-uniform electric fields can be calculated using the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force on a charged particle, and q is the charge of the particle. This equation takes into account the varying strength of the electric field and can be used to determine the force on a charged particle in a non-uniform electric field.