Non-Polarized EM Wave: Example & Explanation

In summary, non polarized EM waves are generated by sources such as incandescent light bulbs, sunlight, and fluorescent light, as well as through scattering processes. The term "randomly polarized" is preferred over "unpolarized" as at any given instant, the electric field of the wave has a definite direction.
fluidistic
Gold Member
Can someone give me an example of a non polarized EM wave? I've heard that a light bulb would produces EM waves not polarized because the E fields of each waves aren't in the same direction. This I can understand. But in the case of a single EM wave, how do one gets a non polarized wave? I don't see how it's possible. What would that mean? That the E field's direction changes randomly when the time increases? How can we produce such a wave? But if the E field isn't continuous, it wouldn't satisfy Maxwell's equations?

I'm confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
I prefer the term 'randomly polarizaed' rather than 'unpolarized', becasue at any given instant, the electric field has a definite direction. That direction may be orderly (fully polarized light) or randomly fluctuate (randomly polarized).

Light from an incandescent light bulb, sunlight, fluorescent light... all those are randomly polarized sources.

Scattering processes will 'depolarize' light as well- passing highly polarized light though a rotating ground glass sheet will produce randomly polarized light.

Light from a single atom is polarized. Light from 10^23 atoms is randomly polarized, which is the same as unpolarized.

Related to Non-Polarized EM Wave: Example & Explanation

What is a non-polarized EM wave?

A non-polarized EM wave is an electromagnetic wave in which the electric field oscillates in all possible directions perpendicular to the direction of propagation. This means that the wave has no preferred direction of oscillation and is therefore called non-polarized.

What are some examples of non-polarized EM waves?

Some examples of non-polarized EM waves include light from a conventional light bulb, radio waves, and microwaves.

How is a non-polarized EM wave different from a polarized wave?

A polarized EM wave has a preferred direction of oscillation, while a non-polarized wave oscillates in all possible directions. This means that the electric field of a polarized wave is confined to a single plane, while the electric field of a non-polarized wave is spread out in all planes.

How are non-polarized EM waves used in everyday life?

Non-polarized EM waves have a variety of uses in everyday life. They are used in communication systems, such as radio and television broadcasting, as well as in wireless technologies like WiFi and Bluetooth. They are also used in medical imaging, such as in X-rays and MRIs.

What is the relationship between the frequency and wavelength of a non-polarized EM wave?

The frequency and wavelength of a non-polarized EM wave are inversely proportional. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation c = ƒλ, where c is the speed of light, ƒ is the frequency, and λ is the wavelength.