Non-maths general question on history of space time

In summary, structuring the history of space-time can vary depending on the scope of your project, but including notable contributors and discussing philosophical implications can provide a well-rounded overview.
pachelbel
Non-maths general question on history of space time :)

Hello,

I'm doing a Bsc project on space-time and was hoping to receive some advice on how others would structure the history of the topic. I know this is a broad question but what I'm struggling with is how to narrow down the relevant contributors, I don't want to miss out key people involved in its evolution but I also don't want to unnecessarily take up words.

For instance I was thinking of explaining the history in this order:

Galileo
Newton/Leibniz
Mach
Lorentz
Einstein

But then I feel like I should involve for example Michael Faraday & Maxwell's Energy/speed of light contribution or should I just sub-heading that under Einstein where relevant?

I'm new to this forum so I hope this question is appropriate for this section.

Appreciate any help I can get, thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The short answer is that it depends on the scope of your project. If you're looking for a broad overview, then including Galileo, Newton/Leibniz, Mach, Lorentz and Einstein is a good start. However, if your project is more focused, then you could expand on other contributors such as Michael Faraday and Maxwell. You could also include notable figures such as Henri Poincaré, Hermann Minkowski, and Karl Schwarzschild. It may also be worth mentioning some of the philosophical implications of space-time, such as the block universe theory and the concept of spacetime as an arena for physical events.

Related to Non-maths general question on history of space time

1. What is the concept of space-time in physics?

Space-time is a concept in physics that combines the three dimensions of space (length, width, and height) with the dimension of time. It is a mathematical model that explains how objects move and interact in the universe.

2. Who first proposed the idea of space-time?

The concept of space-time was first proposed by the famous scientist Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity in 1915.

3. How does space-time differ from traditional concepts of space and time?

Traditional concepts of space and time treat them as separate and independent entities. However, in the concept of space-time, they are unified and inseparable, with the fabric of space being affected by the presence of massive objects and time being relative to the observer's frame of reference.

4. How does space-time affect the movement of objects?

The curvature of space-time around massive objects, such as planets and stars, affects the movement of objects in their vicinity. This is known as the gravitational pull, which is a result of the distortion of space-time caused by the presence of mass.

5. Can space-time be visualized or experienced?

No, space-time cannot be directly visualized or experienced as it is a mathematical concept. However, scientists use mathematical models and equations to study and understand the effects of space-time on the universe and its objects.