Non-linear Oscillator: Understanding Bound Motion through Conservation of Energy

In summary, the potential energy for a non-linear oscillator consisting of a mass on a spring is constant, and the motion is oscillatory if the initial position satisfies 0 < x_0 < \frac{k}{\alpha} and the initial velocity satisfies v_0 < \frac{k}{\alpha}\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}.
Adorno

Homework Statement

A non-linear oscillator consisting of a mass on a spring has a potential energy of the form [itex]\frac{1}{2}kx^2 - \frac{1}{3}\alpha x^3[/itex], where [itex]k[/itex] and [itex]\alpha[/itex] are positive constants, and [itex]x[/itex] is displacement. Using conservation of energy, show that the motion is oscillatory if the initial position [itex]x_0[/itex] satisfies [itex]0 < x_0 < \frac{k}{\alpha}[/itex] and the initial velocity satisfies [itex]v_0 < \frac{k}{\alpha}\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex]E = T + U = \mathrm{constant}[/itex]

[itex]F = -\frac{dU}{dx}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

By conservation of energy, the quantity [itex]E = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + U(x)[/itex] must be constant. So if the motion is oscillatory then the velocity will be zero at two (and only two) different positions, i.e. we have [itex]E = U(x_1) = U(x_2)[/itex]. Since [itex]E[/itex] is the maximum value of the potential energy, this is equivalent to saying that the potential energy must reach the value of its local max/min at two (and only two) positions. In other words, the [itex]x[/itex] values must lie between the two critical points of [itex]U[/itex]. By setting [itex]dU/dx = 0[/itex], we get [itex]x = 0[/itex] and [itex]x = \frac{k}{\alpha}[/itex] as the two critical points, and so we must have [itex]0 < x < \frac{k}{\alpha}[/itex], as required.

I think the above is OK, but feel free to correct me if you see a problem. What I don't understand is how the initial velocity comes into it. The question is saying that if the initial velocity is greater than [itex]\frac{k}{\alpha}\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/itex], then the motion won't be oscillatory, but I don't know how to derive this. Presumably this has to do with the conservation of energy as well -- I guess I have to use the kinetic energy term [itex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/itex] somehow. Could anyone help with this part?

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw the potential, and with that draw the force. For small initial velocity the particle can be trapped by the potential.

Adorno said:
What I don't understand is how the initial velocity comes into it. The question is saying that if the initial velocity is greater than [itex]\frac{k}{\alpha}\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/itex], then the motion won't be oscillatory, but I don't know how to derive this. Presumably this has to do with the conservation of energy as well -- I guess I have to use the kinetic energy term [itex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/itex] somehow. Could anyone help with this part?

Consider also that a system is only bound for E < 0 . When the mass is at the extreme of displacement [itex]x = \frac{k}{\alpha}[/itex], what would the maximum permissible velocity be?

(I think there is some margin in the given conditions: I am getting some dimensionless multipliers on the order of 1 for the limits on displacement and velocity.)

Related to Non-linear Oscillator: Understanding Bound Motion through Conservation of Energy

1. What is a non-linear oscillator?

A non-linear oscillator is a physical system that exhibits oscillatory behavior, such as periodic motion or vibrations, but does not follow a linear relationship between the input and output. This means that the system's response may not be directly proportional to the force applied to it.

2. How is a non-linear oscillator different from a linear oscillator?

A linear oscillator follows Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied is directly proportional to the displacement. A non-linear oscillator, on the other hand, does not follow this relationship and may exhibit more complex behavior.

3. What are some examples of non-linear oscillators?

Some examples of non-linear oscillators include a pendulum, a spring-mass system with large displacements, and a chaotic system with multiple feedback loops.

4. What are the applications of non-linear oscillators?

Non-linear oscillators have many applications in various fields, such as engineering, physics, biology, and economics. They can be used to model and study complex systems, predict behavior and patterns, and design control systems.

5. How can non-linear oscillators be analyzed?

Non-linear oscillators can be analyzed using mathematical and computational methods, such as numerical simulations and nonlinear dynamics. These methods allow researchers to study the behavior and stability of the system, as well as identify patterns and relationships between variables.