Non Inverting Operational Amplifier

In summary, the gain Vout/Vin can be expressed as 1 + R2/[R1 - j/wC] in the form of A+jB. To do so, one can rewrite the expression and multiply it by the conjugate of the denominator.
theuniverse

Homework Statement

Derive an expression for the gain Vout/Vin. Express your answer in the form of A+jB.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If C is the capacitor in series with R1, gain = 1 + R2/[R1 + 1/(jwC)]. It says to express it in the form of A (real)+ jB (imaginary), but I'm not sure how to make the conversion from my solution of gain to the form of A+jB.
Any help is appreciated.

Edit: Figured that I can rewrite it as gain = 1 + R2/[R1 - j/wC] and I tried multiplying by the conjugate but I still can't get it...

Attachments

• op amp.jpg
    op amp.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
theuniverse said:

The Attempt at a Solution

If C is the capacitor in series with R1, gain = 1 + R2/[R1 + 1/(jwC)]. It says to express it in the form of A (real)+ jB (imaginary), but I'm not sure how to make the conversion from my solution of gain to the form of A+jB.
Any help is appreciated.

Edit: Figured that I can rewrite it as gain = 1 + R2/[R1 - j/wC]
Yes, looks good so far.
and I tried multiplying by the conjugate but I still can't get it...
Multiply by (conjugate/conjugate), where "conjugate" is the conjugate of the denominator.

For example:

[tex]\frac{c}{a+jb} = \frac{c(a-jb)}{(a+jb)(a-jb)} = etc.[/tex]

Thanks! yea I ended up doing that by kept forgetting the extra 1 for the gain. All solved now though.

Related to Non Inverting Operational Amplifier

1. What is a non-inverting operational amplifier?

A non-inverting operational amplifier (op-amp) is a type of electronic amplifier circuit that produces an output voltage that is a scaled replica of the input voltage. It uses a positive feedback loop to achieve this, with the input signal being applied to the non-inverting input and the output being fed back to the inverting input through a resistor network.

2. How does a non-inverting op-amp work?

A non-inverting op-amp works by using a high-gain amplifier circuit that amplifies the input signal and produces an output voltage that is a scaled version of the input. This is achieved by using a positive feedback loop, with the output voltage being fed back to the inverting input through a resistor network. The gain of the op-amp is determined by the ratio of the feedback resistors.

3. What are the advantages of a non-inverting op-amp?

Some advantages of a non-inverting op-amp include a high input impedance, low output impedance, and a high gain. It also has a wide range of applications, such as in voltage followers, filters, and signal conditioning circuits. Additionally, it is relatively easy to design and has a simple circuit layout.

4. What are some common applications of a non-inverting op-amp?

Non-inverting op-amps have a wide range of applications in electronics. They are commonly used in audio amplifiers, voltage regulators, active filters, and signal conditioning circuits. They are also used in instrumentation amplifiers, voltage followers, and voltage comparators.

5. How can the output voltage of a non-inverting op-amp be calculated?

The output voltage of a non-inverting op-amp can be calculated using the following formula: Vout = (1 + R2/R1) * Vin, where R1 is the resistance of the feedback resistor connected to the inverting input, R2 is the resistance of the feedback resistor connected to the output, and Vin is the input voltage. The gain of the op-amp is determined by the ratio of R1 and R2.