Non Homogeneous Recurrence Relation

In summary, the conversation discusses the steps taken to solve a recurrence relation for an (n+2)an+1=2(n+1)an+2^{n}, n>=0, a0=1. One of the participants suggests shifting the index and subtracting the resulting equation from the original to eliminate the 2^{n} term. The other participant mentions using bm = (n+1)an as a variable to solve for the particular/homogeneous solution parts and reaching a formula of bm= c1*2^{m}+c2*m*2^{m}. However, there is uncertainty about whether to substitute back in or use a0=1 with bm.
Ethers0n
1. solve the following recurrence relation for an

2. (n+2)an+1= 2(n+1)an+2[tex]^{n}[/tex], n>=0, a0=1
I shifted the index, multiplied through by the 2[tex]^{n}[/tex] term and then subtracted the resulting equation from the original equation to get rid of the 2[tex]^{n}[/tex] term...

3. I have gotten to this point
(n+1)an-4(n)an-14(n-1)an-2=0

I'm not really sure how to handle the (n+1), n, or (n-1) terms when looking for the particular/ homogeneous solution parts.

Physics news on Phys.org
can you see a way to change your variable a(n) that would do it? There is something consistemt between the successive terms.

(You have missed a + out of your formula BTW.)

well, if I sub in bm = (n+1)an into the original equation of
(n+2)an+1 = 2(n+1)an+2n
I get
bm+1=2bm+2m
(1) bm+1-2bm=2m
(2) bm-2bm-1=2m-1
(3) 2bm-4bm-1=2m
(1)-(3)
(4) bm+1-4bm+4bm-1=0
(5) bm-4bm-1+4bm-2=0
(6) r2-4r+4=0
(7) (r-2)(r-2)=0
(8) bm= c12m+c2m2m

but I don't really know where to go from there?
do I sub back in, or is there a way to use a0=1 with bm?
I'm getting the feeling that I'm dong something wrong...

Related to Non Homogeneous Recurrence Relation

What is a non homogeneous recurrence relation?

A non homogeneous recurrence relation is a mathematical relationship between successive terms in a sequence, where the next term is determined by a combination of the previous terms and a non-zero constant or function.

How is a non homogeneous recurrence relation different from a homogeneous recurrence relation?

A homogeneous recurrence relation has a constant or function of zero in its equation, meaning that the next term in the sequence is determined solely by the previous terms. In contrast, a non homogeneous recurrence relation has a non-zero constant or function, indicating that an external factor is also influencing the next term.

What are some real-life applications of non homogeneous recurrence relations?

Non homogeneous recurrence relations are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and predict complex systems that are influenced by external factors. For example, in physics, they can be used to describe the motion of a projectile under the influence of air resistance, or the growth of a population in ecology.

How do you solve a non homogeneous recurrence relation?

The first step in solving a non homogeneous recurrence relation is to find the general solution to the corresponding homogeneous relation. This can be done using techniques such as substitution or characteristic equations. Then, a particular solution to the non homogeneous relation can be found using the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters. The general and particular solutions can then be combined to form the overall solution.

What is the importance of non homogeneous recurrence relations in mathematics?

Non homogeneous recurrence relations are important in mathematics because they allow us to model and solve complex systems that are influenced by external factors. They also have applications in other areas of mathematics, such as in the study of differential equations, and can help us gain a deeper understanding of the behavior of sequences and series.