Non-elastic collision without outside influence

If we set up our coordinate system such that the initial velocity of ball A is positive, then its final velocity must be negative since it rebounds in the opposite direction. And since the second ball B is initially at rest, its final velocity must also be negative. So we can set up the following equations:v(1) = -u(1)/4v(2) = -u(2)We can also use the conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy equations to solve for the mass of the second ball B.In summary, when a ball A of mass m(1) makes a head-on elastic collision with a second ball B (at rest) and rebounds in the opposite direction with a speed equal to one-fourth
nhmockus
A ball A of mass makes a head-on elastic collision with a second ball B (at rest) and rebounds in the opposite direction with a speed equal to one-fourth its original speed. What is the mass of the second ball B?

I think an appropriate equation for this is v(1)= u(1)*(m(1)-m(2))/(m(1)+m(2))

I tried solving this by changing v(1) to 1/4 u(1) and then trying to find something that makes that long equation next to u(1) equal 1/4 but I can't seem to find anything

Physics news on Phys.org
nhmockus said:
A ball A of mass makes a head-on elastic collision with a second ball B (at rest) and rebounds in the opposite direction with a speed equal to one-fourth its original speed. What is the mass of the second ball B?

I think an appropriate equation for this is v(1)= u(1)*(m(1)-m(2))/(m(1)+m(2))

I tried solving this by changing v(1) to 1/4 u(1) and then trying to find something that makes that long equation next to u(1) equal 1/4 but I can't seem to find anything

Hi nhmockus, welcome to Physics Forums.

Remember that velocities have directions.

Related to Non-elastic collision without outside influence

1. What is a non-elastic collision without outside influence?

A non-elastic collision without outside influence is a type of collision between two or more objects where there is no external force acting on them. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, but the objects do not rebound or bounce off each other after the collision.

2. How is a non-elastic collision without outside influence different from an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the objects rebound or bounce off each other after the collision and the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. In a non-elastic collision without outside influence, the objects do not rebound and some of the kinetic energy is lost in the form of heat or sound.

3. What types of collisions can be considered non-elastic collisions without outside influence?

Some examples of non-elastic collisions without outside influence include ball bearings colliding on a smooth surface, cars colliding on a frictionless road, and atoms colliding in a gas without any external forces acting on them.

4. How is the conservation of momentum applied in a non-elastic collision without outside influence?

In a non-elastic collision without outside influence, the total momentum of the system is conserved. This means that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision, even though some kinetic energy may be lost.

5. What are some real-life applications of non-elastic collisions without outside influence?

Non-elastic collisions without outside influence can be seen in a variety of everyday situations, such as a car crash on a smooth surface or a ball rolling to a stop on a frictionless surface. They are also important in fields such as physics and engineering, where understanding the conservation of kinetic energy and momentum is crucial in designing and analyzing systems.