Non-constant Current Density of Magnetic Field

In summary, the magnetic field produced by an amperian circular loop with radius greater than R is m0*I/2pir.
Aristotle

Homework Statement

Screen shot 2015-04-17 at 11.51.51 PM.png

Homework Equations

Ienclosed = ∫ JdA
∫B*ds = m0*I

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my take of finding [/B]when r is greater than R--so, the magnetic field is m0*I/2pir, since
B(2pir) = m0*I
This is because the amperian circle covers the whole wire.

Can somebody verify that this is correct? (when r>R) I mean it doesn't matter that the density is nonunfirom correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Correct but still you got to calculate I which will not be the same as if the current density was uniform.

Delta² said:
Correct but still you got to calculate I which will not be the same as if the current density was uniform.

Oh I understand that "I" will be different when r is INSIDE the circle. But "I" outside should just be "I" total without having to integrate right?

For an amperian circular loop that has radius any r>R , the current I will be the same "I total", but how you going to find it without integrating the current density? it will be

[itex]I=\int\limits_{0}^{R}\int\limits_{0}^{2\pi}\vec{J}\cdot d\vec{S}[/itex]

while for r<=R it will be
[itex]I=\int\limits_{0}^{r}\int\limits_{0}^{2\pi}\vec{J}\cdot d\vec{S}[/itex]

Last edited:
Delta² said:
For an amperian circular loop that has radius any r>R , the current I will be the same "I total", but how you going to find it without integrating the current density?
Well originally I integrated it from limits R to r (r>R) for J*dA...and got an answer of a current equaling to I(r^5-R^5)/(R^5). And so B equaled m0*I(r^5-R^5)/(2piR^5*r)...so then I realized integrating for the amper circle outside would not be reasonable.

I mean sure finding r inside the circle is a different current, but my main concern is outside.

Delta² said:
For an amperian circular loop that has radius any r>R , the current I will be the same "I total", but how you going to find it without integrating the current density? it will be

[itex]I=\int\limits_{0}^{R}\int\limits_{0}^{2\pi}\vec{J}\cdot d\vec{S}[/itex]
Doing it at 0 to R is the complete wire. It doesn't relate to the r of the amp. circle that is outside it, right?

Aristotle said:
Well originally I integrated it from limits R to r (r>R) for J*dA...and got an answer of a current equaling to I(r^5-R^5)/(R^5). And so B equaled m0*I(r^5-R^5)/(2piR^5*r)...so then I realized integrating for the amper circle outside would not be reasonable.
You integrated current density from R to r? But the current density is zero outside the wire isn't it?
Aristotle said:
Doing it at 0 to R is the complete wire. It doesn't relate to the r of the amp. circle that is outside it, right?
when the radius r is >R then you integrate from 0 to R cause the loop encloses the whole wire.

Delta² said:
You integrated current density from R to r? But the current density is zero outside the wire isn't it?

when the radius r is >R then you integrate from 0 to R cause the loop encloses the whole wire.
Oh yeah you make a great point, I just thought back on the section of Gauss and remembered that. Thanks!
But as I integrated from 0 to R...and plugged in the Jo for the current density...I got a result of just "I". (a good indication that it is correct).

So it wouldn't really be necessary at all to integrate right?--I mean everything cancels in the end to get a final "Itot". Or is it safe to just integrate anyways?

Well integrating from 0 to R i seem to get a total current [itex]I=\frac{2}{5}\pi J_0R[/itex]

Delta² said:
Well integrating from 0 to R i seem to get a total current [itex]I=\frac{2}{5}\pi J_0R[/itex]

Yup same here--when you find j0 and I am sure you could--you get 5I/2PiR :)...it then equals to I haha

I guess integrating is a good way to show it, and indeed you're correct about the integration, but it would seem a tad redundant in having to do that since I that is enc equals the current of the wire in its entirety.

yes ok, it is just that the total current I is not given, instead you are given the current density equation, R and J_0.

Delta² said:
yes ok, it is just that the total current I is not given, instead you are given the current density equation, R and J_0.
I appreciate your help Delta!

Related to Non-constant Current Density of Magnetic Field

1. What is non-constant current density of magnetic field?

Non-constant current density of magnetic field refers to a situation where the flow of electric current through a material is not uniform, resulting in a non-uniform distribution of the magnetic field within the material.

2. What causes non-constant current density of magnetic field?

Non-constant current density of magnetic field can be caused by variations in the material's electrical conductivity, changes in the geometry of the material, or the presence of external magnetic fields.

3. How does non-constant current density affect the magnetic field?

Non-constant current density can lead to variations in the strength and direction of the magnetic field within the material, which can have implications for its overall magnetic properties and behavior.

4. Can non-constant current density be controlled or manipulated?

In some cases, non-constant current density can be controlled or manipulated through the use of external magnetic fields or by altering the material's composition or geometry.

5. What are the applications of studying non-constant current density of magnetic field?

Understanding non-constant current density of magnetic field is important in various fields such as material science, electronics, and electromagnetism. It can also have practical applications in areas such as power generation, magnetic storage devices, and medical imaging techniques.