Noise from unplugged power supply :S

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with noise from a power supply when using a CCD camera with a peltier element. The noise persists even when the power supply is not plugged in and attempts to bypass it with a capacitor have been unsuccessful. Moving the power supply or touching the 0v pin of the jack with a metal object also causes noise. Suggestions to use shielded wire and a metal box to reduce noise are given. Eventually, it is discovered that wrapping the cable in tin foil helps reduce the noise, but it is still present and further solutions are sought.
Kawakaze
I have a ccd camera that I put a peltier element into, and there is noise from the power supply, even when it isn't plugged in. Just plugging the jack in gives noise, I tried the bypassing thing with a capacitor with no effect. Plugging the PSU in gives no change. I tried moving the power supply around and this makes no difference plugged in or not, any ideas? If the noise is from the power to to camera from the usb port, why would it only appear when i put the jack in? I really am confused with this.

The case is plastic, and i just noticed that when you even touch the 0v pin of the socket for the jack with a metal object, the noise comes back.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's probably 60/50 Hz noise from power lines, etc. Have you tried using shielded wire from the supply? Is there an Earth ground on the supply? I would think that the project should be in a metal box so as to shied your project as well as the wiring.

You were right, I just wrapped the cable up in tin foil and the noise was almost gone. Shielded cables it is :)

Thanks so much for your help!

I just did some more testing, the noise is much better but it is still too much. Is there anything else to be done? Thanks :)

Related to Noise from unplugged power supply :S

What is noise from an unplugged power supply?

Noise from an unplugged power supply refers to any sound that is emitted from the power supply even when it is not connected to any devices. This noise can range from a low humming sound to a high-pitched whine.

Why does an unplugged power supply make noise?

There are a few possible reasons for noise from an unplugged power supply. One common cause is the presence of capacitors, which can hold electrical charge and continue to produce noise even after the power supply is unplugged. Another possible cause is interference from other electronic devices.

Is noise from an unplugged power supply harmful?

While the noise itself may not be harmful, it could be a sign of a larger issue with the power supply. If the noise is accompanied by a burning smell or excessive heat, it could indicate a malfunction that could potentially lead to damage or injury. It is best to have the power supply checked by a professional if you have any concerns.

How can I reduce or eliminate noise from an unplugged power supply?

If the noise is bothersome, there are a few steps you can take to reduce or eliminate it. One option is to use a surge protector or power strip with noise filtering capabilities. You can also try moving the power supply to a different location or using a different outlet. If the noise persists, it may be a sign of a larger issue and should be checked by a professional.

Can I prevent noise from an unplugged power supply?

Unfortunately, noise from an unplugged power supply is often unavoidable. However, using high-quality power supplies and taking proper care of your electronic devices can help minimize the noise. Regular maintenance and cleaning of your power supply can also help prevent any potential issues that could lead to noise.