Noetherian Rings - R Y Sharp - Chapter 8 - exercise 8.5

In summary, the exercise asks to show that the subring $\Bbb Z[\sqrt{-5}]$ of the field $\Bbb C$ is Noetherian. Using Hilbert's basis theorem and a canonical isomorphism, it can be shown that $\Bbb Z[\sqrt{-5}]$ is indeed Noetherian.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading R. Y. Sharp: Steps in Commutative Algebra, Chapter 5 - Commutative Noetherian Rings

Exercise 8.5 on page 147 reads as follows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8,5 Exercise.

Show that the subring [TEX] \mathbb{Z} [ \sqrt{-5} ] [/TEX] of the field [TEX] \mathbb{C} [/TEX] is Noetherian.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can someone please help me get started on this problem and give me a solution strategy.

Peter

[Note: This has also been posted on MHF]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From Hilbert's basis theorem, we know that since $\Bbb Z$ is Noetherian, $\Bbb Z[x]$ is also Noetherian. There is a canonical isomorphism $\Bbb Z[x]/(x^2+5) \cong \Bbb Z[\sqrt{-5}]$ given by $x \mapsto \sqrt{-5}$. As Noetherianty is invariant under taking quotients, $\Bbb Z[x]/(x^2 + 5)$ is Noetherian, hence $\Bbb Z[\sqrt{-5}]$ is also Noetherian $\blacksquare$

Last edited:

Related to Noetherian Rings - R Y Sharp - Chapter 8 - exercise 8.5

1. What is a Noetherian ring?

A Noetherian ring is a commutative ring in which every ascending chain of ideals eventually stabilizes. This means that for any sequence of ideals I1 ⊆ I2 ⊆ I3 ⊆ ..., there exists a positive integer n such that In = In+1 = ... for all n ≥ n. In other words, the ring has a finite number of ideals.

2. What is the significance of Noetherian rings?

Noetherian rings are important in commutative algebra and algebraic geometry because they have well-behaved ideal structures and can be used to classify and study other types of rings. They also have connections to other areas of mathematics, such as algebraic number theory and topology.

3. How are Noetherian rings related to Hilbert's basis theorem?

Hilbert's basis theorem states that every ideal of a polynomial ring over a Noetherian ring is finitely generated. This means that if R is a Noetherian ring, then the polynomial ring R[x] is also Noetherian. This theorem is useful in proving properties of Noetherian rings and their ideals.

4. Can a Noetherian ring have infinite dimension?

Yes, a Noetherian ring can have infinite dimension in terms of its Krull dimension. This means that there can be an infinite number of prime ideals in the ring, even though there are only a finite number of ideals.

5. How are Noetherian rings related to the ascending chain condition?

The ascending chain condition (ACC) states that every ascending chain of submodules in a module eventually stabilizes. Noetherian rings satisfy this condition because the definition of a Noetherian ring includes the condition that every ascending chain of ideals stabilizes. In other words, Noetherian rings are Noetherian modules over themselves.