Nobel Prize 2023: Attosecond pulses

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone familiar with this field/technique give us an idea of how important this is?

Haborix said:
Can anyone familiar with this field/technique give us an idea of how important this is?
The presentation provided a few potential applications.

from 29.57

Likes Haborix
DrClaude said:
They rang Anne L’Huillier to tell her she had won but she was lecturing so they had to try a few times.

When they did get her, they told her but it was only a short call as she wanted to finished her lecture!

I wonder if she told her class?

Amazing.

Likes berkeman
Haborix said:
Important enough to be worth a Nobel prize :-p

To be able to probe things that move very fast, like electrons in molecules, one needs very short bursts of light to interrogate systems. These tools have now been available for about a decade and have been used to study electron dynamics in atoms, molecules and non-structures.

• Informative
Likes berkeman, Haborix and pinball1970
DrClaude said:
Important enough to be worth a Nobel prize :-p

To be able to probe things that move very fast, like electrons in molecules, one needs very short bursts of light to interrogate systems. These tools have now been available for about a decade and have been used to study electron dynamics in atoms, molecules and non-structures.
Yes, the trouble I have is my own personal interests means some years seem obviously important/cool and others just don’t trigger the same response. This year is the latter, but like you say, it is important enough to get a Nobel Prize, so I’m trying to figure out what I’m missing. Had the same response to the blue LEDs a few years ago.

pinball1970 said:
I wonder if she told her class?
I don't think you are allowed to say anything until the prize has been officially announced.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
Haborix said:

I think it is a just a (very short) flash in the pan.

• Haha
Likes DaveE, BillTre and pinball1970