No Net Force in E & B Perpendicular Fields

In summary, the velocity of the particle must be parallel to the cross product of the electric and magnetic fields in order for there to be no net force, assuming the fields are non-zero. This is because the magnetic force must cancel out the electric force.
jesuslovesu

Homework Statement

In a velocity selector E and B fields are perpendicular. Which of the following conditions on the direction of the particle's velocity can result in no net force assuming the E and B are nonzero?

Homework Equations

F = Eq + q(vxB)

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is B.

A) v is parallel to E
--Not sure why this wouldn't work. Since E is perpendicular to B why can't it result in F = 0? F = E + vB

B) v is parallel to (ExB)
--If I recall my cross product information correctly. v will be perpendicular to both E and B therefore I get F = E + vB.

What's the difference between the two?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the fields are non-zero, the only way for there to be no net force is for the electric and magnetic forces to cancel out (i.e. qv X B is pointing in the opposite direction to qE, and is equal in strength.). Thus, you want the velocity to point in a direction that causes the magnetic force to point opposite the electric force.

Say the electric field points up, and the magnetic field points toward you, using the right hand rule, which way will the velocity have to point in order to get (qv X B) to point opposite qE? This is essentially what the question is asking. If you check the two situations above with the right-hand rule, you should see that only one has qvXB pointing opposite to qE. Can you now see why only one of the above situations work?

jesuslovesu said:
A) v is parallel to E
--Not sure why this wouldn't work. Since E is perpendicular to B why can't it result in F = 0? F = E + vB
If v is parallel to E, what direction will the force from E act? And what direction must q(vxB) act? Can they possibly cancel?

B) v is parallel to (ExB)
--If I recall my cross product information correctly. v will be perpendicular to both E and B therefore I get F = E + vB.
Do the same analysis as before. Compare the directions of qE and q(vxB). Can they cancel?

G01 is way ahead of me. :-)

Understood, thanks

Related to No Net Force in E & B Perpendicular Fields

1. What is the concept of "No Net Force in E & B Perpendicular Fields"?

The concept of "No Net Force in E & B Perpendicular Fields" refers to the fact that when an electric field (E) and a magnetic field (B) are applied to a charged particle in a perpendicular direction, the net force on the particle will be zero. This is due to the fact that the electric force and the magnetic force act in opposite directions and cancel each other out.

2. How does this concept apply to charged particles in motion?

This concept applies to charged particles in motion because the electric and magnetic fields exert forces on the particles, causing them to accelerate or change direction. However, when these fields are perpendicular, the net force on the particle is zero and it will continue to move with a constant velocity in a straight line.

3. What is the significance of this concept in electromagnetism?

The concept of "No Net Force in E & B Perpendicular Fields" is significant in electromagnetism because it helps explain the behavior of charged particles in the presence of electric and magnetic fields. It also allows us to make predictions and calculations about the motion of these particles, which is crucial in many technological applications such as particle accelerators and electric motors.

4. Can a particle experience a net force when the E and B fields are not perpendicular?

Yes, a particle can experience a net force when the E and B fields are not perpendicular. In this case, the forces exerted by the two fields are not equal and opposite, and the particle will experience a resultant force in a certain direction. The magnitude and direction of this net force depend on the relative strengths and orientations of the E and B fields.

5. Does this concept apply to all types of particles?

Yes, this concept applies to all types of particles, whether they are charged or neutral. However, for neutral particles, the net force will be zero because they do not interact with electric fields, only with magnetic fields. Additionally, this concept applies to all types of electric and magnetic fields, as long as they are perpendicular to each other.