No Branch Cut Needed for cos(sqrt(z))

In summary, there is no need for a branch cut for the function cos(sqrt(z)) due to it being an even function. This is because all values of sqrt(z) can be written in terms of ordinary functions, such as the principal branch sqrt(z). This can be seen by writing z as r*exp(i(t+2*k*pi)), so sqrt(z) = (r^1/2)*exp(it/2) or (r^1/2)*exp(i(t/2+pi)) = -(r^1/2)*exp(it/2).
NT123

Homework Statement

Branch cut for cos(sqrt(z)).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Apparently there is no need for a branch cut for this function, but I am not sure why - I heard it has something to do with cos being an even function. Any clarification would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure you've done an exercise like writing down all of the values of a multivalued function like sqrt(z) in terms of ordinary functions. (e.g. in terms of the principal branch Sqrt(z))

That seems like an obvious place to start to me.

Hurkyl said:
I'm sure you've done an exercise like writing down all of the values of a multivalued function like sqrt(z) in terms of ordinary functions. (e.g. in terms of the principal branch Sqrt(z))

That seems like an obvious place to start to me.

You mean write z as r*exp(i(t+2*k*pi)), so sqrt(z) = (r^1/2)*exp(it/2) or (r^1/2)*exp(i(t/2+pi)? = -(r^1/2)*exp(it/2) ?

Related to No Branch Cut Needed for cos(sqrt(z))

1. What is "No Branch Cut Needed for cos(sqrt(z))"?

"No Branch Cut Needed for cos(sqrt(z))" is a mathematical theorem that states that the function cosine of the square root of a complex number does not require a branch cut. A branch cut is a discontinuity in a function that occurs when a function has multiple possible outputs for a single input. In simpler terms, this theorem states that the function cos(sqrt(z)) behaves smoothly and continuously for all complex numbers, without any sudden jumps or changes.

2. Why is this theorem significant?

This theorem is significant because it simplifies the calculation of complex functions involving cos(sqrt(z)). Without this theorem, the function would have multiple possible outputs for a single input, making it difficult to analyze and calculate. By eliminating the need for a branch cut, this theorem makes it easier to understand and work with complex functions.

3. How was this theorem proven?

The proof of this theorem involves using advanced mathematical techniques, such as complex analysis and Cauchy's integral theorem. In basic terms, the proof shows that the function cos(sqrt(z)) can be expressed as a series of complex numbers, and this series is convergent for all complex numbers. This means that the function is well-defined and does not require a branch cut.

4. Are there any other functions that do not require a branch cut?

Yes, there are other functions that do not require a branch cut, such as sin(sqrt(z)), exp(sqrt(z)), and log(sqrt(z)). These functions have also been proven to be well-defined and continuous for all complex numbers, without the need for a branch cut.

5. How is this theorem used in scientific research?

This theorem is used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics, where complex functions are commonly used. It simplifies the analysis and calculation of these functions, making it easier to solve complex problems. Additionally, this theorem has applications in areas such as signal processing, control systems, and image processing, where complex functions are used to model and analyze real-world systems.