Nilpotent Elements in Rings: Is 0 the Only Nilpotent Element?

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that 0 is the only element in the ring R if and only if a^2 = 0 implies a = 0. The conversation also mentions the possibility of this logic only working for rings that are domains.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Show that 0 is the only in R if and only if a^2 = 0 implies a = 0.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm not sure if I'm doing this right.
a^2 = a*a = 0. Therefore, either a or a is zero.

The reason I'm not sure about this is because I'm thinking about matrices, where matrix A^2 can equal zero while A doesn't equal zero.

Also, did the logic that I use only work if the original question considered the ring a domain?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the if and only if, you should have to demonstrate the proof both ways. If there is a unique zero, then ##a^2=0 \implies a=0##, and if ##a^2=0 \implies a=0##, then zero is unique.

Related to Nilpotent Elements in Rings: Is 0 the Only Nilpotent Element?

What is a nilpotent element in a ring?

A nilpotent element in a ring is an element that, when raised to a certain power, becomes equal to zero. In other words, there exists some positive integer n such that an = 0, where a is the nilpotent element.

What is the significance of nilpotent elements in a ring?

Nilpotent elements play an important role in understanding the structure of a ring. They can help identify the presence of zero divisors, which can affect the invertibility of elements in a ring. Nilpotent elements can also be used to define the concept of a nilradical, which is the set of all nilpotent elements in a ring.

How can nilpotent elements be identified in a ring?

In a finite ring, it is possible to check each element to see if it is nilpotent. However, in an infinite ring, this is not feasible. Instead, one can use the fact that a nilpotent element is always contained in the nilradical of a ring. Therefore, checking the nilradical can help identify nilpotent elements in a ring.

Can a nilpotent element be a unit in a ring?

No, a nilpotent element cannot be a unit in a ring. This is because a unit is an element that has a multiplicative inverse, but a nilpotent element raised to any power will always equal zero. Therefore, a nilpotent element cannot have a multiplicative inverse and therefore cannot be a unit.

What is the relationship between nilpotent elements and nilpotent subrings?

A nilpotent subring is a subset of a ring that contains all the nilpotent elements of the original ring. Thus, nilpotent elements in a ring are also nilpotent elements in a nilpotent subring. However, not all nilpotent elements in a nilpotent subring are necessarily nilpotent in the original ring.