Newton's Third Law of Motion - Help

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of knowing what information is needed to find the answer to a problem. It is suggested to ignore unnecessary information and focus on the key elements. The concept of projectile motion is mentioned and the idea of working backwards is brought up. The conversation ends with a reminder not to delete the original post in order to maintain the coherence of the discussion.
yomo710
Got it!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ignore all the information for a moment. Just think, what things do you need to know to find the answer?
Once you know what you're looking for, then you can try to use all the information in the problem to find whatever it is you need to know.

Nathanael said:
Ignore all the information for a moment. Just think, what things do you need to know to find the answer?
Once you know what you're looking for, then you can try to use all the information in the problem to find whatever it is you need to know.
I was thinking projectile motion but then I ignored that. I think I would need the force exerted by the ball on the canon and vice versa and then apply it. Is this correct?

yomo710 said:
I was thinking projectile motion but then I ignored that. I think I would need the force exerted by the ball on the canon and vice versa and then apply it.
Okay, try to find this from the given information.

yomo710 said:
I was thinking projectile motion but then I ignored that. I think I would need the force exerted by the ball on the canon and vice versa and then apply it. Is this correct?
I suggest working backwards. What would you like to know about the state of the canon just after the shot has been fired?

yomo710 said:
Got it!
Yomo710. Did you delete the original post? Please do not do that! Now nobody can make sense of the thread.

Related to Newton's Third Law of Motion - Help

What is Newton's Third Law of Motion?

Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal force in the opposite direction.

How does Newton's Third Law of Motion apply to everyday life?

Newton's Third Law of Motion can be observed in many everyday situations. For example, when you push a door, the door pushes back on you with an equal force. Similarly, when you walk, your feet push against the ground and the ground pushes back with the same force, allowing you to move forward.

Can Newton's Third Law of Motion be broken?

No, Newton's Third Law of Motion is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be broken. It is a universal principle that applies to all objects and interactions in the universe.

What is the importance of Newton's Third Law of Motion in physics?

Newton's Third Law of Motion is important because it helps us understand how forces and motion work in the universe. It allows us to predict the behavior of objects and systems, and is crucial in fields such as engineering, mechanics, and astronomy.

How does Newton's Third Law of Motion relate to the other laws of motion?

Newtons's Third Law of Motion is closely related to the other two laws of motion. The first law, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external force. The second law, also known as the law of acceleration, states that the force exerted on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. Newton's Third Law of Motion builds upon these laws by explaining the equal and opposite nature of forces.