Newton's Third is Giving Me a Problem That is Absurd

• Thread starter Pupil
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Newton's Third Law and its application to a rocket and an object in space. It is clarified that the forces involved are not equal and opposite as they act on different bodies. The confusion of thinking that these forces cancel out is also addressed. The net force on the rocket is determined by the sum of the force of the object and the force of the exhaust fuel. An example is provided to further explain the concept. The conversation ends with a calculation to find the force exerted by the object on the rocket.
Pupil
Suppose there's a rocket in space with a mas m, and an object also with mass m. Now suppose the rocket turns on and pushes the object with a constant force F. The object would then have an acceleration a. By Newton's Third Law the object pushes back with a force -F. So shouldn't the rocket have a negative acceleration (-a) and thus eventually slow to a stop? But what happens in reality is the rocket pushes the object faster and faster. I must be missing something fundamental here. Set me straight so I can stop thinking about this friggin' thing in the shower. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
All Newton's 3rd law says is that if the rocket exerts a force on the object, then the object will exert an equal and opposite force on the rocket. Of course that's not the only force on the rocket--it's also blasting out hot fuel, which provides another force. (Otherwise, it would be more like a rock than a rocket. :wink:)

Doc Al said:
All Newton's 3rd law says is that if the rocket exerts a force on the object, then the object will exert an equal and opposite force on the rocket. Of course that's not the only force on the rocket--it's also blasting out hot fuel, which provides another force. (Otherwise, it would be more like a rock than a rocket. :wink:)

But won't this blasting rocket fuel acting on the rocket be canceled out by the force the object exerts in the opposite direction on the rocket since Newton says the forces are equal in magnitude and opposite? Thus the rocket's net force is 0, and there will be no acceleration? I hear this is a problem a lot of beginning physics students make, but I don't see how saying the forces are acting on opposite objects solves the problem. I am confused. :(

No. There are three forces involved here- The force the rocket blast applies to the rocket, the force the rocket applies to the mass, and the force the mass applies to the rocket. Yes, the last two cancel. Which means that the whole assembly accelerates at a= F/2m.

HallsofIvy said:
No. There are three forces involved here- The force the rocket blast applies to the rocket, the force the rocket applies to the mass, and the force the mass applies to the rocket. Yes, the last two cancel. Which means that the whole assembly accelerates at a= F/2m.

But isn't the force of the rocket blast the force that acts on the object?

Pupil said:
But won't this blasting rocket fuel acting on the rocket be canceled out by the force the object exerts in the opposite direction on the rocket since Newton says the forces are equal in magnitude and opposite?
Nope. You are mixing up the 3rd law force pairs. The force the exhaust fuel exerts on the rocket is equal and opposite to the force that the rocket exerts on the fuel. But that force has nothing to do with the force between the object and the rocket--that's a totally different force.
Thus the rocket's net force is 0, and there will be no acceleration?
The net force on the rocket is the sum of (1) the force of the object on the rocket and (2) the force of the exhaust fuel on the rocket. No reason to think that these cancel out. One hopes that (2) is much greater than (1).
I hear this is a problem a lot of beginning physics students make, but I don't see how saying the forces are acting on opposite objects solves the problem.
In my experience, the main confusion is thinking that the "equal and opposite" forces from Newton's 3rd law somehow cancel out. But they can't: They act on different bodies!

Read this: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=90060

Pupil said:
But isn't the force of the rocket blast the force that acts on the object?
Nope. The exhaust pushes on the rocket; the rocket pushes on the object. Two different forces.

Imagine this similar situation. A frictionless table with two blocks sitting side by side. You push one block into the other. You push block A. Block A pushes block B. Ah... but Newton's 3rd law says that block B must push back on A with the same force. Yes! Does that mean it "cancels out" and nothing moves? No! You push on block A and block B pushes on block A--the net force determines how block A accelerates. (Hint: Your push is greater than block B's push.)

Doc Al said:
Nope. You are mixing up the 3rd law force pairs. The force the exhaust fuel exerts on the rocket is equal and opposite to the force that the rocket exerts on the fuel. But that force has nothing to do with the force between the object and the rocket--that's a totally different force.

The net force on the rocket is the sum of (1) the force of the object on the rocket and (2) the force of the exhaust fuel on the rocket. No reason to think that these cancel out. One hopes that (2) is much greater than (1).

In my experience, the main confusion is thinking that the "equal and opposite" forces from Newton's 3rd law somehow cancel out. But they can't: They act on different bodies!

Read this: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=90060

Okay, I think I'm getting it. So say the object and rocket both have 10 kg masses, and the blaster exerts a force of 20 N on the rocket. How would you find the force the object and rocket exert on each other?

Actually, I think I know how. Fnet = MsAs ---> 20 N = 20kg*a ----> a = 1 m/s. So the rocket moves at 1 m/s, then the sum of the forces on the rocket Frocket = Fblaster + Fobj ---> 1m/s*10kg = 20N + Fobj, so Fobj is -10 N?

Pupil said:
Okay, I think I'm getting it. So say the object and rocket both have 10 kg masses, and the blaster exerts a force of 20 N on the rocket. How would you find the force the object and rocket exert on each other?

Good question!
All you have to know is f=ma.

The fuel is pushing the rocket, which is pushing the object. Since the object and the rocket are always moving in sync, we can pretend that, instead of two 10 kg masses, they are one 20 kg mass. We can do this to find the acceleration of the whole system. f=ma. 20N=20kg*a, so "a"=1 m/s^2

Now, break it back into two objects. It's okay, we can do that. We're physicists.

The force pushing the whole system is 20N, but the force that is pushing just the object doesn't come from the fuel. It comes from the rocket.
Now, we know the mass and the acceleration of the object being pushed. f=ma, again. f=10kg*1m/s^2 so f=10N.

AKA, the force of the rocket on the object is 10N.

Newton's law says that that means that there is a force of 10N from the object back to the rocket.

Did this make sense?

Indeed, I believe I understand quite well now. Thanks for all the help guys.

Related to Newton's Third is Giving Me a Problem That is Absurd

What is Newton's Third Law of Motion?

Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert a force back on the first object that is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.

How does Newton's Third Law apply to everyday life?

Newton's Third Law can be observed in many everyday situations, such as when walking, pushing a door open, or throwing a ball. For example, when you walk, your feet exert a force on the ground, and the ground exerts an equal and opposite force back on your feet, propelling you forward.

Why is Newton's Third Law important in science?

Newton's Third Law is important because it helps us understand how objects interact with each other. It is a fundamental principle of physics and is crucial in explaining the motion of objects, from the smallest particles to the largest celestial bodies.

What are some common misconceptions about Newton's Third Law?

One common misconception is that the forces in Newton's Third Law must be of the same type, but they can actually be of any type (e.g. gravitational, electrical, etc.). Another misconception is that the forces must occur at the same time, but they can actually occur at different times as long as they act on the same objects.

How can I use Newton's Third Law to solve problems?

To use Newton's Third Law to solve problems, you must first identify the action-reaction force pairs and then apply the principle that the two forces are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. This can help you determine the motion of objects and the forces acting on them in a given situation.