Newton's Second Law surface+horizontal w/ friction

In summary, the conversation is about a student's test results and their attempt at solving problems related to normal force, net force, and tension. The student shares their attempted solutions and plans to post their updated answers and any remaining questions in the morning.
Fredecus
8046052002_8ee8a629e8_z.jpg

This was a return of my test and I have filled in the forces already. I got a few problems wrong and I would like to see what the correct answers are.

Homework Statement

1. Write an expression and determine the value of N1, the normal force acting on M2

2. Write an expression for and determine the value of the net force acting on the system.

3. Write an expression for and determine the value of the force (Tension[T2]) the string exerts on M1

4. Write an expression for and determine the value of the force (Tension[T2]) the string exerts on M2

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

1. N1=Mg-sin(α)=99.1

2. -30.18-.9-43.08=12N

3. T1=-Fcos(α)+Fs-sumFx1
T1=0

4. T2=sumFx2-mgsin(θ)+Fs2
T2=0

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I have figured it out but I am too tired at the moment to post it. I will post in the morning my new answers and the questions I still have (if any).

1. N1=Mg-sin(α)=99.1
---------
Sin[α] is a ratio of 2 lenght. Force unit is in Newtons.

Related to Newton's Second Law surface+horizontal w/ friction

1. What is Newton's Second Law with surface and horizontal friction?

Newton's Second Law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. When considering surface and horizontal friction, this means that the force of friction acting on the object will decrease its acceleration and must be factored into the overall net force equation.

2. How does surface friction affect an object's motion on a horizontal surface?

Surface friction, also known as kinetic friction, acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion when it is in contact with a surface. This means that on a horizontal surface, surface friction will slow down an object's motion and decrease its acceleration. The amount of friction force depends on the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces in contact.

3. How do you calculate the net force on an object on a horizontal surface with friction?

The net force on an object on a horizontal surface with friction can be calculated by subtracting the force of friction from the applied force pushing or pulling the object. This can be represented by the equation Fnet = Fapplied - Ffriction. It's important to note that the direction of friction force is always opposite to the direction of motion.

4. What is the relationship between surface friction and the mass of an object?

The force of surface friction is directly proportional to the mass of an object. This means that as the mass of an object increases, so does the force of friction acting on it. This is because heavier objects have more inertia and require more force to overcome the resistance of friction and accelerate.

5. How does Newton's Second Law with surface and horizontal friction apply to real-life scenarios?

In real-life scenarios, Newton's Second Law with surface and horizontal friction can be observed in many situations, such as a car's tires on a road, a book sliding across a table, or a person walking. In each of these cases, the force of friction from the surface plays a role in the object's motion and must be taken into account when calculating the net force and acceleration. Additionally, this law is essential in understanding and designing many technologies, such as vehicles and machinery.