Newton's second law of motion questions

In summary, the problem involves a person with a mass of 75.0 kg standing at rest on top of a long hill with an angle of 15.0 degrees above horizontal. The coefficient of friction is 0.10. For part a, the acceleration of the person as they roll down the hill is 1.55 m/s^2, although there may be different answers depending on how the normal force is calculated. For part b, the person's speed at the bottom of the hill can be determined using the given distance of 300 meters and the calculated acceleration from part a. The normal force must be calculated correctly, taking into account the angle of the hill.
Ereny
physics help please...

a person with a mas of 75.0 kg is wearing roller blades and stands at rest on top of a long hill. the hill makes an angle of 15.0 above horizontal. assume the coefficient of friction to be .10.

a. determine the acceleration of a the person as they roll down the hill.. for this one i got around 1.55 m/s^2.. but my other friend got a different answer soo i am wandering if anyone could help me..

b. assuming the hill to be 300. meters long, that the person starts from rest, and that the acceleration remains constant the entire length of the hill, determine the person's speed at the bottom of the hill.

for b .. are we suppose to solve for distance or just use 300 in a kinematic equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ereny said:
a. determine the acceleration of a the person as they roll down the hill.. for this one i got around 1.55 m/s^2.. but my other friend got a different answer soo i am wandering if anyone could help me..
Show how you got your result.

for b .. are we suppose to solve for distance or just use 300 in a kinematic equation?
You're given the distance, so use it.

for a. i set up like this :
Fnet= Fll - Friction
ma=sin(15)*(mg)-u*(mg)
(75kg) a=sin(15)(75kg)(9.81)-(0.10)(75kg)(9.81)
a= 1.55 m/s^2

is it right..

and to do B i have to know acceleration from a

Ereny said:
for a. i set up like this :
Fnet= Fll - Friction
ma=sin(15)*(mg)-u*(mg)
Almost right. The friction force equals μN, where N is the normal force. Since it's on an incline, the normal force doesn't just equal mg. What does it equal?

it equals the weight.. which is mass*gravity.. that's wt i did..

Ereny said:
it equals the weight.. which is mass*gravity.. that's wt i did..
That would be true if the surface were horizontal, but it's not. To find the normal force, consider force components perpendicular to the surface. They must add to zero.

yeah but we don't have to use the perpendicular fore.. we could just use the parallel force...
and i am really confused now... can u please help me out a little more

Ereny said:
yea i know that... because they're parallel to each other.. can u please tell me if the answer is right..
You are using the wrong normal force. The normal force depends on the angle of the surface.

Read this: Inclined Planes

the normal force is the weight .. and it doesn't depend on the angle.. okay if i am using the wrong normal force wts the correct one then..

Related to Newton's second law of motion questions

1. What is Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. How do you calculate force using Newton's second law?

Force is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its acceleration. The formula is F=ma, where F is force in Newtons (N), m is mass in kilograms (kg), and a is acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s²).

3. What are some real-life examples of Newton's second law of motion?

Examples of Newton's second law of motion include pushing a shopping cart (the greater the force applied, the faster the cart accelerates), kicking a soccer ball (the harder the kick, the faster the ball accelerates), and riding a bicycle (pedaling harder increases acceleration).

4. How does Newton's second law relate to inertia?

Inertia is an object's tendency to resist changes in its state of motion. According to Newton's second law, the greater an object's mass, the more inertia it has, and the more force is needed to change its state of motion.

5. Can Newton's second law be applied to non-uniform motion?

Yes, Newton's second law can be applied to both uniform and non-uniform motion. However, in the case of non-uniform motion, the acceleration is constantly changing, so the force must be applied continuously to maintain that acceleration.