Newton's Second Law: (Major Flaw in Lab)

In summary, the conversation discusses a flaw in a lab procedure and the possible implications on the results. The participants also discuss the details of the experiment and how it was conducted. They mention using a pulley to reduce friction and making measurements using ticker tape. The question of how to graph with only two measurements is also brought up.
anth0ny

Homework Statement

There is actually a major flaw in the procedure of this lab. (Hint: look at your answer to question 3). Can you find it? What could be done to correct this flaw? Are there any drawbacks to your proposed change in the procedure?

2. Question 3

What does the slope of the best fitting line on the Force-Acceleration graph represent.

The Attempt at a Solution

I would like to state the fact that friction during the lab was not taken account of however I do not understand how that ties into question number three... Is it because the graph is based on a theoretical value which is missing friction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Anth0ny.
There isn't enough information to figure out your question.
What did you do in the lab? What measurements did you make, what graph did you draw, what did it look like?

Hey,

Thank you :) In the lab we set up a cart with a brick on top and then tied a piece of string to one end and let it fall by placing a certain weight on the other end. Ticker tape was used to record six points a second.

2yvj7z5.jpg

The first half from the right is my first distance, then there is a gap which I measured the time for and then finally the second half closest to the left is the second distance. Both distances are equal to 0.1 seconds while the gap is a certain amount of time in this case (3/6) x 0.1 seconds. I converted the cm into m. Finally I used that data to calculate both the force and acceleration:

10x5zrp.png

Finally I graphed it using excel:

6759wo.png

Thank you for helping me out by the way!

Anthony

Okay, I have seen this experiment many times. I trust you had a pulley on the string to reduce friction.

It sounds like you made only two measurements - the distance traveled in 0.1 seconds in two places on the tape. Curious, you say the tape records 6 points per second, so they are 1/6 second or about 0.16 seconds apart - so how could you measure for 0.1 second?
What could you graph with only two measurements? Just 2 dots on your graph? Also no mention of how you calculated the acceleration or the force.

The first post mentions a force vs acceleration graph.
Did you repeat the experiment with different hanging masses so you have accelerations for various applied forces? That is the only way you could make such a graph.

As a scientist, it is important to recognize and address any flaws in a lab procedure. In this case, it seems that the major flaw lies in the fact that friction was not taken into account during the experiment. This could potentially lead to inaccurate results and conclusions.

To correct this flaw, friction could be measured and accounted for in the data analysis. This could be done by using a force sensor to measure the friction force and subtracting it from the total force applied to the object.

However, there could be some drawbacks to this proposed change in the procedure. For example, measuring friction can be difficult and may introduce additional sources of error. It may also be time-consuming and add complexity to the experiment. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the potential drawbacks and weigh them against the benefits of including friction in the analysis.

In conclusion, it is crucial to address any flaws in a lab procedure and make necessary adjustments to ensure accurate results. In this case, accounting for friction can improve the accuracy of the data and strengthen the validity of the conclusions drawn from the experiment.

Related to Newton's Second Law: (Major Flaw in Lab)

What is Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law states that the force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. In other words, the greater the mass of an object, the more force is needed to accelerate it.

What is the major flaw in lab experiments involving Newton's Second Law?

The major flaw in lab experiments involving Newton's Second Law is that they often do not account for all the forces acting on an object. In real-world situations, there are often multiple forces acting on an object, such as friction or air resistance, which can affect the object's acceleration. In lab experiments, these forces are often ignored or simplified, leading to inaccurate results.

How can the major flaw in lab experiments be addressed?

The major flaw in lab experiments can be addressed by conducting more controlled experiments, where all external forces are eliminated or accounted for. This can also be achieved by using more advanced equipment, such as air tracks or motion sensors, to accurately measure the forces acting on the object.

Why is it important to address this flaw in lab experiments?

Addressing the major flaw in lab experiments is important because it allows for more accurate and reliable results. This is especially important in fields such as physics and engineering, where precise measurements are crucial for understanding and predicting the behavior of objects.

How does Newton's Second Law relate to everyday life?

Newton's Second Law is applicable to many aspects of everyday life. For example, it explains why it takes more force to push a heavy object than a lighter one, or why a car accelerates faster when the engine is more powerful. Understanding this law can also help us make predictions about the motion of objects, such as how far a ball will travel when kicked with a certain force.