Newton's second law and tension

In summary, the question involves a helicopter lifting two crates with different masses attached by cables. As the helicopter accelerates upwards, the task is to find the tension in each cable using the equation Fnet=ma. There may have been some initial confusion about which crate to start with, but the solution involves drawing free body diagrams for each crate and solving for the forces on each one separately.
warrior2014
Newton's second law and tension!

Homework Statement

A helicopter is lifting two crates simultaneously. One crate with a mass of 139 kg is attached to the helicopter by cable A. The second crate with a mass of 88 kg is hanging below the first crate and attached to the first crate by cable B. As the helicopter accelerates upward at a rate of 1.2 m/s2, what is the tension in each of the two cables (in kN)?

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a free body diagram and for the first crate (139 kg) I had tension pointing upwards and gravity pointing downwards. So I did the following calculations:

-mg + Ta= ma
Ta= m (a + g)
= 139 (1.2 +9.8)
= 1529 N
= 1.529 kN

For the second crate (88 kg), I had tension of the second crate pointing upwards, tension of the first crate pointing downwards and gravity pointing downwards. So I did the following calculations:

-mg- 1529 + Tb= ma
Tb= ma + mg + 1529
= m (a+g) + 1529
= 88 (1.2 + 9.8) + 1529
= 2497 N
= 2.497 kN

Both answers were wrong so I'm not so sure what I'm supposed to be doing for this question. Any help will be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

warrior2014 said:
I drew a free body diagram and for the first crate (139 kg) I had tension pointing upwards and gravity pointing downwards.

Are you sure that those are all of the forces acting on crate A? After all, it has a rope (that is in tension) attached to the bottom of it as well...

The first crate is the one with two tensions acting on it (Cable A and Cable B). The second crate is only attached to Cable B. Do the second crate first!

So the calculations I did for crate A should actually be for crate B? and the calculations I did for crate B should be for crate A?

warrior2014 said:
So the calculations I did for crate A should actually be for crate B? and the calculations I did for crate B should be for crate A?

Sort of. Your logic was swapped. But don't just reverse the numbers. They will change when you redo it.

If I'm not only supposed to reverse the numbers then how exactly am I supposed to solve this problem??

warrior2014 said:
If I'm not only supposed to reverse the numbers then how exactly am I supposed to solve this problem??

Exactly as you were intending to solve it. Draw a free body diagram for crate B. Solve for the forces on it. Draw a free body diagram for crate A. Do the same.

What, specifically, is the source of your confusion?

I understand how to go about doing the question now. thank you for all of your help :)

Related to Newton's second law and tension

1. What is Newton's second law?

Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. How does Newton's second law apply to tension?

Tension is a force that occurs when an object is pulled or stretched, and it follows Newton's second law. The greater the tension force, the greater the acceleration of the object.

3. What is the formula for calculating tension?

The formula for calculating tension is T = mg + ma, where T is tension, m is mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the object.

4. How is tension affected by the mass of an object?

According to Newton's second law, the greater the mass of an object, the greater the force needed to accelerate it. Therefore, as the mass of an object increases, the tension force required to accelerate it also increases.

5. Can tension ever be greater than the weight of an object?

Yes, tension can be greater than the weight of an object if there are other forces acting on the object. For example, if an object is being lifted by a rope, the tension in the rope will be greater than the weight of the object due to the force of the person pulling on the rope.