Newton's second and third laws

• Thread starter emc92
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laws
In summary: To help you with c and d... Remember, you've got two equations of motion you need to use1) v = u+at2) s= ut + 1/2at^2you've got an acceleration (from b) and you've got a distance (from a) and you've got time (from a) and you can get a velocity from part 1Can you do it now? In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of free body diagrams and their application in understanding the forces acting on different systems. The diagrams include weight, normal force, and friction, which are explained and their directions clarified. The conversation also covers the acceleration and
emc92
Free body diagrams for system A that consists of two blocks and for system B with one block:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/filipina4eva92/1329082077750.jpg

acceleration and net force from the systems:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/filipina4eva92/Unknown.jpg

frictional force:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/filipina4eva92/Unknown2.jpgI'm having a hard time understanding how a free-body diagram works. I know that each of the diagrams for the two systems have to have weight, normal force, and friction acting on it, but I don't completely understand the concept behind them. And I don't even know where to begin with the other two parts of the question. Please help! I'm more than willing to understand all of this. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all you do have to understand what weight, normal force, and friction is to be able to draw the resultant diagram...

1. Weight - what is it's components and in what direction does it act?
2. Normal force - what is it and what direction does it act in (what force does it balance out)
3. Friction - what is it and what direction should it act in (hint: in aerodynamics its called drag)

welcome to pf!

hhi emc92! welcome to pf! :wink:
emc92 said:
I'm having a hard time understanding how a free-body diagram works. … I don't completely understand the concept behind them.

a free-body diagram doesn't really prove anything, it's just a way of making everything clear, so that you don't leave anything out

also, if you're giving the forces names (letters), you can just write them on the diagram, which is a lot clearer than explaining it in prose! :wink:
And I don't even know where to begin with the other two parts of the question.

b. is dead easy

c., use F = ma

d., you'll need to do some calculations :wink:

show us what you get :smile:

@ shyguy79:

1) i know that weight consists of mass and gravity and it's a downward force. for system A, however, since there are two blocks, are there going to be 2 weight vectors on the diagram?
2) normal force is the force perpendicular to the surface of the table, and it's an upward force. it cancels out the force of gravity acting upon the table?
3) friction is opposite the direction of motion of the object. so in this case, friction is acting to the right of the blocks.

at the moment, i only have 3 forces acting on system B - the weight, normal force and friction. is this all for that system?

also, is there a force from system B acting on system A?

@ tinytim

for part b) is the acceleration for all systems the same?

emc92 said:
@ tinytim

for part b) is the acceleration for all systems the same?

they all move together, so yes! :smile:

(sometimes, questions are that easy! :biggrin:)

emc92 said:
@ shyguy79:

1) i know that weight consists of mass and gravity and it's a downward force. for system A, however, since there are two blocks, are there going to be 2 weight vectors on the diagram?
2) normal force is the force perpendicular to the surface of the table, and it's an upward force. it cancels out the force of gravity acting upon the table?
3) friction is opposite the direction of motion of the object. so in this case, friction is acting to the right of the blocks.

at the moment, i only have 3 forces acting on system B - the weight, normal force and friction. is this all for that system?

also, is there a force from system B acting on system A?

1) How would you consider the 'weight' of two blocks - if the mass of each block (and there are two of them) is m and gravity is g then perhaps the weight is ____?
2) Yep... if the surface does not yield under the weight (W = Normal Force)
3) Yep... so F(push) > F(friction) to move the system

Remember friction only exists to opposes the motion so will only be present when there is a pushing force so in essence you've got to remember to pushing force if you're labelling the friction - so you have 4 elements! Like tiny-tim says it is sometimes that easy :-)

Last edited:
@ shyguy 79
so the weight is twice as much for system A. but it's acceptable to only have one vector for the two blocks? also, for system A, is the force opposing friction the force from the hand or from system B? since the hand isn't directly applying the force?

@ tiny tim
i'm still not sure how to begin in parts c and d... =/

for part c, is the net force on system B the same as that on system A? and it's twice as much for system C?

(just got up :zzz: …)

have you misread the diagram?

A is two blocks, B is one block, C is all three blocks :wink:

tiny-tim said:
(just got up :zzz: …)

have you misread the diagram?

A is two blocks, B is one block, C is all three blocks :wink:

Lol.. Same here! :zzz:

One vector for two blocks? Why not? When you stand on a scales you get the combined weight of you and your clothes...

From the hand or system B? It's kinda irrelevant it is still a pushing force in the -x direction (left)

I think you should now sit down and use what info you've got and sketch out a rough sketch and see if you can understand what's going on - maybe even put it on here for us to see

Related to Newton's second and third laws

What is Newton's second law?

Newton's second law, also known as the law of acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

How is Newton's second law mathematically expressed?

The mathematical expression of Newton's second law is F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

What is the relationship between force and acceleration according to Newton's second law?

According to Newton's second law, force and acceleration have a direct relationship. This means that as the force acting on an object increases, its acceleration will also increase, and vice versa.

What is Newton's third law?

Newton's third law, also known as the law of action and reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Can you give an example of Newton's third law in action?

An example of Newton's third law in action is when a person jumps off a boat onto a dock. The person exerts a force on the dock, and the dock exerts an equal and opposite force on the person, propelling them in the opposite direction.