Newton's laws violation consequences

In summary, if Newton's laws of motion were violated, the consequences would depend on the extent of the violation. If it is a small violation, the consequences may not be significant, but if the laws did not apply at all, it would result in a very different world. Violating the first law would result in objects moving without any reason, violating the second law would lead to unpredictable movements, and violating the third law would disrupt the concept of conservation of energy. This could result in objects gaining kinetic energy without any work being done, similar to walking on a frictionless surface. Overall, violating Newton's laws would have major implications on the fundamental principles of physics and the world as we know it.
Mt. Nixion
Do not get me wrong when I ask this question. I know laws cannot be violated.
However, if Newton's third law were violated, what would the consequences be?
Also how would Newton's first and second law be violated and what would the consequences be?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mt. Nixion said:
Do not get me wrong when I ask this question. I know laws cannot be violated.
However, if Newton's third law were violated, what would the consequences be?
Also how would Newton's first and second law be violated and what would the consequences be?
It depends on the extent of violation. If it is one part in 10^45 the consequence would not be very great. If they did not apply at all, we would have a very different world.

AM

The first law could be violated if something just all of a sudden started moving for no reason. I guess the world would seem like a bad horror movie where ghosts and poltergeists roamed free!

The second law... again, odd world. You'd push an object and you'd really have no idea where it would go.

If the third law was violated... well there goes the whole idea of conservation of energy.

Pengwuino said:
The first law could be violated if something just all of a sudden started moving for no reason. I guess the world would seem like a bad horror movie where ghosts and poltergeists roamed free!

The second law... again, odd world. You'd push an object and you'd really have no idea where it would go.

If the third law was violated... well there goes the whole idea of conservation of energy.

Could you explain in more detail on the second and third laws? Also, how does violating the third law affect conservation of energy?

Well if objects in motion did not have to stay in motion etc etc. things could just move for no reason and stop for no reason. Theres really no more detail that I can tell ya, if laws start breaking, all bets are off.

The second law is F=ma. Well if this law doesn't apply anymore, you can no longer tell what an object will accelerate at if you push it. For all we know, you could end up using the same force to push a refrigerator vs pushing a basketball and have them both go the same speed.

The third law basically means an object could gain kinetic energy without having to do any work on anything. It would be like trying to walk on a frictionless surface. You have no way of doing work so you don't go anywhere. If you didn't have the third law, you could start moving and violate conservation of energy without having to use a frictional force on the surface.

If Newton's third law were violated a chemical rocket could accelerate without the burnt fuel ever leaving as exhaust! :)

Related to Newton's laws violation consequences

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three physical laws that describe the relationship between an object's motion and the forces acting on it. The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion with a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. Can Newton's laws be violated?

No, Newton's laws are fundamental principles of physics that have been extensively tested and confirmed through experiments. They accurately describe the motion of objects in our everyday world and are considered to be true in all known cases.

3. What are the consequences of violating Newton's laws?

If Newton's laws were to be violated, it would mean that our understanding of the physical world is incomplete. It would also lead to inconsistencies and inaccuracies in our predictions and explanations of motion. This would have significant consequences in fields such as engineering and technology, where Newton's laws are used to design and build structures and machines.

4. Are there any examples of Newton's laws being violated?

No, there are no known examples of Newton's laws being violated. However, there have been cases where the laws appeared to be violated, but further investigation revealed that other factors were at play. For example, in a car crash, it may seem like the car has violated the first law by suddenly stopping, but the force of the impact from another car is actually responsible for the change in motion.

5. How are Newton's laws relevant to everyday life?

Newton's laws are relevant to everyday life because they govern the motion of objects in our environment. They help us understand why objects move the way they do and how forces act on them. This knowledge has practical applications in fields such as transportation, sports, and construction. For example, understanding the third law of motion can help a baseball player throw a ball further by applying the right amount of force.