Newton's Laws: Solving Friction Problems with Applied Force and Net Force

In summary, an applied force of 50 N is used to accelerate an object of mass 8 kg to the right across a frictional surface. The object encounters a frictional force of 10 N. The normal force is 80 N, the net force is 40 N, and the acceleration is 5 m/s2. The direction of the net force and the acceleration is to the right.
rottentreats64
An applied force of 50 N is used to accelerate an object to the right across a frictional surface. The object encounters 10 N of friction. Use the diagram to determine the normal force, the net force, the mass, and the acceleration of the object. (Neglect air resistance.)
this is the image she gave us: http://faculty.xavierhs.org/wertkins/ipcf1113_files/image001.gif

The picture is what is throwing me off, i thought the normal force would be what the object was actually moving at so 50n-10n= 40n. But i don't know what a net force is. I think the force of the object downward is how much it weighs so (w=m*g) 80=m*10 m=8 kg. Also to find the acceleration i dun know to use the normal force or net force in A=f/m

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Double check your definitions. The net force is the sum of all ther forces on the object. The normal force is between the object and the surface.

I think your instructor is trying to teach you to the basics of drawing and using free-body diagrams... you might want to look up so websites on that technique, or maybe there's a good tutorial on this site.

Also, note that the direction of the net force is the same as the direction of the acceleration.

The object will move according to F=ma, where F is the sum of all the forces acting on it, m=8kg as you've already found, and a is an acceleration of the object, which is in the direction of F.

The normal force is the same as the gravitational force, so Fnorm= 80N. Then I found out the mass by using the formula M=w/gàM=80n/10, the mass is 8kg. Then to find the net force you just do 50n (Fapp) – 10 N (Ffric) and you find out the net force is 40N. Then with this I was able to find the acceleration by using A=f/màA=40n/8, the acceleration is 5 m/s2.

is that right?

Yes, looks correct.

Related to Newton's Laws: Solving Friction Problems with Applied Force and Net Force

1. What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion states that an object will remain at rest or continue at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

2. What is Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass.

3. How do I calculate force using Newton's Second Law?

To calculate force, you can use the formula F=ma, where F stands for force, m stands for mass, and a stands for acceleration.

4. What is Newton's Third Law of Motion?

Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In other words, whenever one object exerts a force on another object, the second object exerts an equal and opposite force back.

5. How are Newton's Laws used to solve problems?

Newton's Laws can be used to analyze and solve problems related to the motion of objects. By understanding the relationships between force, mass, and acceleration, we can use the laws to predict and explain the behavior of objects in motion.