Newton's laws of motion -- pulley system

In summary: I think you might have a misconception of what this forum is for. Nobody here will spoon feed you answers. What we can do is to help you think in the right direction, but in order to do so you must be able to gather and present your thought process. You were always going to have to do dome thinking on your own, it is the only way to...
Vv anand

Homework Statement

In the situation given all surfaces are friction less pulley is ideal and steering is light. Find accn of block 2

Homework Equations

Given F=mg/2

The Attempt at a Solution

.[/B]
Got answer as G/2 instead of G/4 ...(actual answer is g/4)
Since F=mg/2 and block 1 is hanging so acceleration shld be g/2 of block 1 and therefore acceleration of Block 2 shld g/2.

Attachments

• 1498689966507869287282.jpg
    1498689966507869287282.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 600
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
i do not understand your argumentation. Can you spell it out with more detail?

The correct answer is g/4.

Yes sure...Im not getting the answer as g/4... instead I am getting g/2 ...i am maybe wrong at some point but i can't figure out where

Orodruin said:
i do not understand your argumentation. Can you spell it out with more detail?

The correct answer is g/4.
Yes sure...Im not getting the answer as g/4... instead I am getting g/2 ...i am maybe wrong at some point but i can't figure out where

Vv anand said:
Yes you are wrong, which is why I asked you to expand your reasoning so that it might be apparent where your logic fails. As it stands, it is very difficult to follow your logic.

Orodruin said:
Yes you are wrong, which is why I asked you to expand your reasoning so that it might be apparent where your logic fails. As it stands, it is very difficult to follow your logic.
Oh ok sure,My logic say that acceleration of pulley equals acceleration of the block 2(pic) and acceleration of pulley is a2-a1 but this gives me answer as g/2..

Vv anand said:
Oh ok sure,My logic say that acceleration of pulley equals acceleration of the block 2(pic) and acceleration of pulley is a2-a1 but this gives me answer as g/2..
But this logic is incorrect right?

What is a1 and a2? You mist define things before you can use them. What are they and what values would they take. Please work on spelling out your thoughts. You have so far just briefly described your thoughts, not really motivated why you think some relations should hold.

Orodruin said:
What is a1 and a2? You mist define things before you can use them. What are they and what values would they take. Please work on spelling out your thoughts. You have so far just briefly described your thoughts, not really motivated why you think some relations should hold.
a2 is the force and a1 accn of block 1
I think that since surface is massless the magnitud that pulley accelerate will be same as the magnitude block 2 accelerates since there are no other force acting on the body..

Attachments

• 1498692598057-2079482046.jpg
    1498692598057-2079482046.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 429
Vv anand said:
a2 is the force and a1 accn of block 1
I think that since surface is massless the magnitud that pulley accelerate will be same as the magnitude block 2 accelerates since there are no other force acting on the body..
Can you please explain your logic...i m pretty confused after this

Vv anand said:
a2 is the force and a1 accn
Let me stop you right there. Force and acceleration have different physical dinension. It makes no sense whatsoever to take a difference between a force and an acceleration.

Vv anand said:
What surface? Which body? Please take the time to gather your thoughts and write a self-contained argument. We are not mind readers ... What is your free body diagram and what conclusions can you draw from it?

It is also unclear from your picture what a1 and a2 are the accelerations of and in which directions they go.

Orodruin said:
Let me stop you right there. Force and acceleration have different physical dinension. It makes no sense whatsoever to take a difference between a force and an acceleration.What surface? Which body? Please take the time to gather your thoughts and write a self-contained argument. We are not mind readers ... What is your free body diagram and what conclusions can you draw from it?

It is also unclear from your picture what a1 and a2 are the accelerations of and in which directions they go.
NVM leave it... I'll apply my mind or ask my teacher.
Thnx a lot for your precious time..

Vv anand said:
NVM leave it... I'll apply my mind or ask my teacher.
Thnx a lot for your precious time..
I think you might have a misconception of what this forum is for. Nobody here will spoon feed you answers. What we can do is to help you think in the right direction, but in order to do so you must be able to gather and present your thought process. You were always going to have to do dome thinking on your own, it is the only way to learn.

I
Orodruin said:
I think you might have a misconception of what this forum is for. Nobody here will spoon feed you answers. What we can do is to help you think in the right direction, but in order to do so you must be able to gather and present your thought process. You were always going to have to do dome thinking on your own, it is the only way to learn.
Got that soln myself sir... Just had a miscommunication which made me impatient

Vv anand said:
I

Got that soln myself sir... Just had a miscommunication which made me impatient
I already know what this forum is for and I know that i hv to be within those guidelines no matter what..."This is the way i will learn!"

Related to Newton's laws of motion -- pulley system

What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three fundamental principles that describe the behavior of objects in motion. They were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and still serve as the basis for understanding the movement of objects in our everyday lives.

How do Newton's laws apply to a pulley system?

In a pulley system, Newton's first and second laws are the most relevant. The first law, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force. In a pulley system, this means that the objects connected to the pulley will continue to move or stay at rest unless an external force, such as friction or gravity, acts upon them. The second law, or the law of acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In a pulley system, this means that the heavier object will experience less acceleration than the lighter object due to the difference in their masses.

Can a pulley system violate Newton's laws?

No, a pulley system cannot violate Newton's laws. The laws of motion are universal and apply to all objects, including those in a pulley system. However, it is possible for a pulley system to appear to violate the laws if there are external forces, such as friction or air resistance, that are not taken into account.

How does a pulley system make work easier?

A pulley system can make work easier by reducing the amount of force needed to lift or move an object. This is because the pulley redirects the force needed to lift the object, making it feel lighter. According to Newton's second law, a smaller force is needed to accelerate a lighter object, so by reducing the apparent weight of the object, the pulley system reduces the amount of force needed to lift or move it.

Are there any real-life examples of pulley systems?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of pulley systems. Some common examples include flagpoles, elevators, and window blinds. Pulleys are also used in larger systems, such as cranes and construction equipment, to lift heavy objects. In addition, pulleys are used in everyday objects such as exercise equipment, curtains, and even some car engines.