Newton's Law's - Calculate time when given distance and tension

In summary: When you are given only the information that the block is at rest on a table 1.6 meters from the edge, and it is pulled horizontally towards the edge by a tension of 0.2 mN, you can use the kinematic equation of motion, which is:F = ma
Nicaragua
1. A wooden block of mass m kg is at rest on a table, 1.6 metres from the edge. The block is pulled directly towards the edge by a horizontal string. The tension in the string has magnitude 0.2 mN. Calculate the time taken for the block to reach the edge of the table.2. F = ma, S = D/T3. I have looked into the equations of motion and Newton's Second Law, but cannot find a way to link these quantities.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nicaragua said:
1. A wooden block of mass m kg is at rest on a table, 1.6 metres from the edge. The block is pulled directly towards the edge by a horizontal string. The tension in the string has magnitude 0.2 mN. Calculate the time taken for the block to reach the edge of the table.2. F = ma, S = D/T3. I have looked into the equations of motion and Newton's Second Law, but cannot find a way to link these quantities.
Hi Nicaragua, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Please don't erase the template headings when you create your question statement.

Can you write out the basic kinematic equations that might be relevant? Look for ones relating acceleration, distance, and time. Using Newton's second law which you have stated, what is the acceleration of the block?

gneill said:
Hi Nicaragua, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Please don't erase the template headings when you create your question statement.

Can you write out the basic kinematic equations that might be relevant? Look for ones relating acceleration, distance, and time. Using Newton's second law which you have stated, what is the acceleration of the block?
Ok sorry I will keep the headers in next time. I don't know which equation to use when only given s = 1.6m and v = 0 m/s.
For F = ma, that means 0.2 mN / m = F, but we don't have mass either? I don't understand what equation to use when so little information is given.

Anyway, the equation linking acceleration distance and time is s = ut + 1/2 at^2

Nicaragua said:
Ok sorry I will keep the headers in next time. I don't know which equation to use when only given s = 1.6m and v = 0 m/s.
For F = ma, that means 0.2 mN / m = F, but we don't have mass either? I don't understand what equation to use when so little information is given.

Anyway, the equation linking acceleration distance and time is s = ut + 1/2 at^2

Okay, when the problem states that the force (tension) has a magnitude given by 0.2m N, it means that they're playing a little loosely with units. If the force is 0.2m Newtons then it will accelerate a mass m at the rate: a = 0.2m/m, or 0.2. Again, since the units are being used casually we can take that to be a = 0.2 m/s2 (where m here means meters, not the mass of the block)..

So you know the starting speed, the acceleration, and the distance to cover. It would appear that the extra Relevant Equation that you found will do the job nicely since its only other variable is time, which is what you want to find.

gneill said:
Okay, when the problem states that the force (tension) has a magnitude given by 0.2m N, it means that they're playing a little loosely with units.

Not as loosely as one might think. The OP states that the mass is m kg, meaning that m is a dimensionless number. The confusing part is when then quoting Newton's second law as F = ma...

Orodruin said:
Not as loosely as one might think. The OP states that the mass is m kg, meaning that m is a dimensionless number. The confusing part is when then quoting Newton's second law as F = ma...
So what equation would I use? I am missing too many quantities!?

Related to Newton's Law's - Calculate time when given distance and tension

1. What is Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. How do I calculate time when given distance and tension?

To calculate time using Newton's Laws, you would need to use the equation t = √(2d/mg), where t is the time, d is the distance, m is the mass and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. Can Newton's Laws be used to calculate time in all situations?

No, Newton's Laws can only be used to calculate time in situations where there is a constant acceleration due to a net force acting on an object.

4. What are some real-life examples of using Newton's Laws to calculate time?

One example is calculating the time it takes for an object to fall from a certain height due to gravity. Another example is calculating the time it takes for a car to stop when brakes are applied.

5. How do I know if I am using the correct values in the equation to calculate time?

To ensure accurate calculations, it is important to use the correct units for each variable (distance in meters, mass in kilograms, and acceleration due to gravity in meters per second squared). Additionally, double check that the net force is the only force acting on the object in the given situation.